The first WPA project in Sonoma County, California made improvements to a large reclamation project which is mostly forgotten today. Historically, drainage of swampland and naturally poorly drained areas of the United States opened up millions of acres to farming,… read more
The WPA made extensive improvements to Brush School, Santa Rosa, California, under Official Project Number 65-3-364. The work to the one-room school house included building stone retaining walls, a playground and a presumed tennis court (Goddard, 1976: 72-74). Though now… read more
The Oak Knoll Tuberculosis Sanatorium, built in 1939 on an "oak-wooded knoll", according to the Santa Rosa Press-Democrat, was renamed Norton Psychiatric in 1997. The PWA had contributed 45% of building costs. At the time, Sonoma County also applied for… read more
A PWA grant and bonds made possible a group of buildings at Santa Rosa Junior College, including an administration unit, large assembly hall and library. These plans were drawn up by C.A. Calkins, and the building materials were steel, concrete,… read more
Although the exact dates and type of work are not known, the WPA worked on the Santa Rosa Municipal Airport sometime between 1935 and 1939, as noted in Lawson final report on the Works Progress Administration. A source on the… read more
These retaining walls are adjacent to the first hospital on the property and to the Oak Knoll (tuberculosis) Sanatorium, built 1939. In 1997, its name changed to Norton Psychiatric.
These projects involved street improvements, curb, gutter, and sidewalk construction. They resulted in 8,875 ft of streets, 20,122 ft of curbs and gutters, and 15,792 sq ft of sidewalks. The only streets actually identified in the WPA records are Mendocino… read more