From photo below: "Franklin Elementary School, Santa Monica – Demolished second floor and rehabilitated school damaged by earthquake. Also ground improvements and construction of tennis courts." A 1939 WPA Accomplishment Report also reported that the WPA constructed a building at… read more
“The school moved to its current Sunset Park location at 2368 Pearl Street in 1937, where the Works Project Administration (WPA) built much of the campus that exists today. President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s WPA programs employed people for useful projects… read more
This 4' high cast stone sculpture "Storybook Land" of two children reading was funded by the WPA-FAP and created by sculptor Stefan De Vriedt in 1936. It is located in the inner courtyard.
This 18′ high art deco sculpture “Santa Monica” by Eugene Morahan is located on the bluff at the foot of Wilshire Blvd. It is a statue of Saint Monica, for whom the city of Santa Monica was named. It was built in… read more
“The City Hall walls feature historic Stanton Macdonald-Wright murals documenting the citys and the states history. MacDonald-Wright, is the founder of the Synchromism art movement. He pioneered a method called Petrachrome, painting murals with a liquid mixture of materials including… read more
"Beach scene" (1938), a petrachrome mural, is located outside the downtown parking structure.
“Santa Monica City Hall is a PWA project, and its architectural style has been dubbed WPA Moderne. This style of architecture was most widely used in building projects financed by the federal government and constructed by the Federal Emergency Administration… read more
The WPA replaced those school buildings that had been destroyed by the 1933 earthquake. This included: a two-story main building for classrooms and administration, a one-story science building with a cafeteria, a boys gymnasium, a two-story shop building, and auditorium…. read more
“The Barnum Hall Theatre was built in 1938 by the Federal Works Project Administration (WPA) and also served as the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium when it was first built. It was designed to be a cultural center to the Santa… read more
A 5′ x 5′ carved wood bas-relief depicting “Workers” is located in the library over the circulation desk. It was produced with FAP funds. The artist is unknown.
In addition to the Barnum Hall Theater, several other WAP-FAP art projects dot the high school campus, including a 7′ high cast stone sculpture titled “The Viking” that stands on the patio between the Art and History buildings. The sculpture… read more
This 4′ x 3′ cast stone relief entitled “Comedy, Tragedy, Music” was produced by Olinka Hrdy in 1937 with FAP funds.
Originally painted for the library, this mural “Westward II” by Conrad Buff was relocated to the Barnum Hall auditorium. It is now awaiting a new location. It was painted in 1935, most likely under the WPA’s Federal Art Project like… read more
“The foyer of Barnum Hall displays a handsome tile mosaic fifteen by seventeen feet in size, called “The Vikings.” The mosaic, and the mural on the asbestos stage curtain [“Entrance of the Gods into Valhalla”], are the work of a… read more
This very large mural by Stanton Macdonald-Wright “Invention and Imagination” consists of 30 panels and covers 2,000 square feet. In it’s original installation, it covered all wall space in the reading room of the previous Santa Monica Public Library at… read more