The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) developed San Francisco’s Mission Playground, located at 19th and (what was then known as) Angelica Streets, during the Great Depression. The park is still in use today. Painted swimming pool and dressing rooms, repaired… read more
(40 Acres) Constructed water bound macadam trails, rubble and concrete retaining walls and park benches, installed water system, landscaped and planted 25 acres. This work created a fine park at the summit of Mount Davidson, highest point in San Francisco,… read more
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) worked to develop San Francisco’s Mountain Lake Park during the Great Depression. Examples: Repairs like Lombard, consisting of landscaping, building 2 new tennis courts and walks and horseshoe courts; also provided a shelter for… read more
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed San Francisco’s O’Shaughnessy Boulevard. Consisted of work necessary to complete the grading and underground drainage for a 60 foot boulevard around the west side of Glen Park Reservoir site and Glen Park, involving… read more
Cost $940,271 from point near 25th Avenue to 14th Avenue and Fulton. Work consisted of excavation and fill, construction of sub-base and surfacing; building red rock paths and planting center strip, reinforced concrete retaining wall and concrete curb, installing irrigation… read more
600 seats; concrete,terra cotta trim, tile wainscot. The October 3, 1938 edition of the Daily Pacific Builder reported that $68,348 in PWA funds had been allotted for the project and an architect was being sought.
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) improved San Francisco’s Potrero Hill Playground (the present Potrero Hill Recreation Center) in the late 1930s, when WPA relief workers built the children’s play area, tennis courts and a restroom (Healy, p. 66). Both the… read more
“A notable artistic feature of the Main Post Chapel is a large fresco painted in 1935 by Victor Arnautoff and his assistants. With St. Francis at its center, the mural depicts a historical pageant related to the founding of the… read more
Renovate officers’ quarters in the Presidio of San Francisco, by painting interior and exterior, reflooring, repairing and improving plumbing and electrical work, making general carpentry reparis, and performing appurtenant work. This project will operate in the City of San Francisco,… read more
Graded and constructed 4 tennis courts 150 feet x 240 feet, convenience station and concrete retaining walls. Form[erly] a sand lot, it is now a community asset for the Richmond District.–Healy, p. 63. This park is now known as the… read more
This former San Francisco post office, originally known as the Rincon Annex, was built in 1939-40 and served as the major package transfer center through the city’s port – then the largest on the West Coast. The building was paid… read more
Two 5′ x 20′ murals “Land” and “Harvest” by Nelson Pool were painted for the Roosevelt Middle School lobby with funding from the WPA Federal Art Project.
This 5′ x 25′ oil on canvas mural “Education” by George Wilson Walker was funded by the WPA Federal Art Project. It is on the second floor over the entrance to the auditorium balcony.
WPA workers removed bodies from old Odd Fellows Cemetery to create this park. "Constructed playground, 3 tennis courts and 2 basketball fields, 1 volleyball court, landscaped and built drainage and water system, fenced entire playground and courts, built convenience station… read more
Originally the San Francisco Aquatic Park, this area is now officially the San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park. The Park’s distinctive streamline moderne style WPA building (pictured below) stands at the foot of Polk Street. It was originally built as… read more
The Assessor's Office, located in the San Francisco City Hall, holds a 20' x 50' oil on canvas "Map of San Francisco."
These 7’4″ x 4′ tufa stone busts of “Leonardo Da Vinci” and “Thomas Edison” were carved by Frederick E. Olmsted, great-nephew of famed landscape architect Frederick Law Olmsted, for the WPA exhibition “Art in Action” at the Treasure Island world’s fair…. read more
Academic building; 3 stories,375' x 112'. The October 3, 1938 edition of the Daily Pacific Builder reported that $1,366,032 had been allotted for the first unit of the science building.
This photo montage mural by Benjamin Cunningham hangs in the City Treasurer’s Office. It was funded by the WPA’s Federal Art Project in 1938.
Rehabilitated County Jail.–Healy, p. 72. General rehabilitation of building with additional rooms on roof. Completion of unfinished work by S.E.R.A.–Mooser, p. 85. This Hall of Justice was built in 1912 and rehabilitated by the WPA in the 1930s. However, the… read more