(2.25 Acres) … Built one football field and one soccer field with parking facilities, demolished old jail and prepared material for future use. The property was transferred to Department of Education for San Francisco Junior College, which is now under… read more
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed San Francisco’s John Muir Drive as part of a larger Lake Merced-area road development project undertaken during the 1930s. Healy, p. 43: This improvement contributed to the State plan of connecting main highways by… read more
Three 15′ x 7.5′ frescoes by David Park on the themes “Art,” “Civilization,” and “Nature.” The frescoes surround the main entrance. The murals were done as part of the Public Works of Art Program (then funded by the CWA).
Erected a one story reinforced concrete addition to present training quarters and reconstructed old wooden seats to concrete framing. This work of increased the facilities for football and basket ball games. With a seating capacity of 60,000 it is well… read more
“Built in the 1920s, the renovated hospital campus contains more than a hundred contemporary and historical public artworks. The entryway to the main building displays five murals by WPA [Works Progress Administration] artist Glen Wessels. The WPA inspired three contemporary… read more
This 6′ cast-stone sculpture of Florence Nightingale was completed in 1937 with WPA Federal Art Project funds by sculptor David Edstrom.
The Laguna Honda Hospital contains five 8′ x 6′ murals by Glen Wessels, painted with funding from the PWAP in 1934. Four of the murals depict the elements “Earth,” “Air,” “Water” and “Fire,” while a fifth is called “The Professions.”
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed San Francisco’s Merced Boulevard during the Great Depression. Healy, p. 43: This improvement contributed to the State plan of connecting main highways by broad intersecting arteries, in this case making an arterial connection from… read more
Painting the interior of 14 buildings and the exterior of 8 buildings. Replacement of 10,350 lineal feet of heating and hot water pipe including tanks, valves, fittings, pipe covering, and hangers in the heating and hot water distribution systems. Construct… read more
Built this modern clubhouse with latest devices for the pleasure and comfort of the public. Like Harding Golf Club it has become a very popular asset.–Healy, p. 59.
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) improved the facilities at San Francisco’s Lombard Park during the Great Depression. Work consisted of landscaping and building walls and paths and providing recreation facilities for mothers and children.–Healy, p. 56.
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed tennis courts at San Francisco’s Marine Hospital. Work involved: Grading and construction of double tennis courts, including certain planting and shrubbery around same after construction, and in area adjacent to same. This is… read more
"Psychological Color Chart; Dr. Oswald's Color Solid" (1940), oil on canvas, is in the west wing.
Beniamino Bufano created two sculptures for the Maritime Museum in 1942 with funding from the WPA Federal Art Project. “Seal” is a red granite sculpture, and “Animal” a black one.
Sargent Johnson created this two part project “Sea Forms” for the WPA “comprised of a 30 feet long, 14 feet high greenish-gray slate facade titled, Sea Forms, that was placed over the main entrance to the Maritime Museum on Polk… read more
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) improved the facilities at San Francisco’s Merced Manor. Work description: Landscaped large reservoir and paths and prepared the top of the reservoir for construction of tennis courts eventually. An example of unique treatment of… read more
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) developed San Francisco’s Merrie Way Esplanade during the Great Depression. Work: Consisted of clearing and grubbing a half acre tract, 1,500 cubic yards and surfacing with 350 cubic yards of rock and bitumuls wearing… read more
Drew Athletic Field was constructed behind the school in the late 1930s. Dorland Street was removed to make room for the field. The October 3, 1938 edition of the Daily Pacific Builder reported that $65,000 in PWA funds had been… read more
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) developed San Francisco’s Mission Playground, located at 19th and (what was then known as) Angelica Streets, during the Great Depression. The park is still in use today. Painted swimming pool and dressing rooms, repaired… read more
(40 Acres) Constructed water bound macadam trails, rubble and concrete retaining walls and park benches, installed water system, landscaped and planted 25 acres. This work created a fine park at the summit of Mount Davidson, highest point in San Francisco,… read more