‘This building was constructed to reduce overcrowded conditions in other senior high schools. It has 39 classrooms, boys’ and girls’ gymnasiums, a large auditorium with stage, a small music hall with platform and sloping floor, numerous special service rooms… read more
Auditorium: 1,850 seats including balcony. Concrete, terra cotta trim. Choral room, band practice room, instrument storage. Athletic field: football field, track, ROTC drill area (boys); basketball, tennis courts, volleyball (girls).
Victor Arnautoff’s fresco entitled “Life of Washington” consists of thirteen panels and totals 1600 square feet. It was produced with the assistance of FAP funds.
This project was originally assigned to Beniamino Bufano, but was awarded to Johnson instead when the WPA fired Bufano. This 1942 frieze entitled “Athletics” covers the back wall of the football field and still stands today. Supposedly, “WPA officials objected… read more
This 5’6″ x 27′ fresco mural “Advancement of Learning Through the Printing Press” by Lucien Labaudt was completed in 1936 with funding from the WPA Federal Art Project.
This 4′ x 10′ fresco mural “Modern and Ancient Science” by Gordon Langdon depicts the physicist Robert A. Milliken. It is located near the entrance to the library at Washington High School.
Ralph Stackpole’s 5’6″ x 27′ fresco “Contemporary Education” in the Washington High School library was completed in 1936 with FAP funds.
(10.42 Acres) Chenery and Elk Streets. Constructed playground, clubhouse and recreation center. Built new entrance, widened 2 tennis courts to regulation size, graded large portion of field, 3 volleyball courts. Clubhouse contains gymnasium, director's office, community theatre and special[t]y accomodations… read more
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed the Doyle Drive approach to the Golden Gate Bridge (not itself a New Deal project). This roadway carried traffic from city streets in the Marina District through the Presidio of San Francisco, which at… read more
A 1940 report identifies the Works Progress Administration (WPA) as having worked on lighting for the Golden Gate bridge, but provides no further details. The work was probably done in 1939-40. Since no federal agencies were involved in the construction… read more
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built a Lyon Street approach to the Golden Gate Bridge (not itself a New Deal project) to allow access to the bridge by heavy trucks arriving through San Francisco. These ramps are no longer extant… read more
The Public Works Administration (PWA) funded the construction of the Veterans Boulevard approach road and tunnel to the Golden Gate Bridge (not itself a New Deal project) in 1939-40. The roadway runs north-south across the Presidio of San Francisco, connecting… read more
The Golden Gate Angling and Casting Club contacted the WPA for help building their new facilities: "The Stow Lake clubhouse was only a modified shed and Stow Lake itself could only accommodate a few casters at a time. The GGACC… read more
Constructed 6 stations at: 14th Avenue and Fulton Street, 19th Avenue and South Drive, Ashbury and Oak Streets ([all 3] Golden Gate Park), Gundlach and Vistacion Streets (McLaren Park), Laguna and Clay Streets (Lafayette Square), Judson Avenue (Balboa Park). These… read more
This station is located just to the northwest of the De Young Museum. It is probably the station referred to in Healy as being at 14th and Fulton. "Constructed 6 stations at: 14th Avenue and Fulton Street, 19th Avenue and… read more
Two bas-relief concrete sculptures by Jesse S. "Vet" Anderson (1875-1966), overlooking the WPA funded Golden Gate Park Horseshoe Pits.
Constructed stable buildings in Golden Gate Park. Built modern stable of concrete and wood for mounted police.–Healy, p. 70.
These WPA built stables are just to the east of the Golden Gate Park Police Stables.
This public outdoor sculpture “Penguin’s Prayer” of three penguins is situated in the Golden Gateway Center at the intersection of Davis Street and Jackson Street in San Francisco, CA. It was created by Beniamino Bufano with WPA funding. The three… read more
Increased the space and facilities for the public use by building a golf club house with concrete floors, frame construiction with stucco exterior and plastic interior and tile roof, installing plumbing, heating and electric equipment, painting inside and out. Private… read more
From FoundSF: “Although widely used in European cities throughout the 20th century, publicly funded housing did not seriously penetrate the U.S. landscape until the Great Depression. An effort to create better and cheaper housing, the first subsidized housing program of… read more
The October 3, 1938 edition of the Daily Pacific Builder reported that $151,291 in PWA funds had been allotted for the Horace Mann gym and cafeteria.
Work consisted of excavation and building masonry rubble walls, 3,000 feet of red rock paths, 600 lineal feet of sewer, a standard convenience station and general renovation of an existing court surrounded by walls of natural floral beauty. This improvement… read more