Built the playing field consisting of running track, 2 high jumps, pole vault, shot put, broad jump, pit and runway, equipment house; remodeled training quarters; surfaced basketball court and painted grandstands–Healy, p.72. This facility operated as the High School of… read more
Tennis court and playground construction along 15th Street beginning with cliff shoring, earth-moving work atop Corona Heights (once called Red Rock Hill), photographed on Jan 21, 1937. The flattened areas just north of the hill’s summit rock outcrop and high… read more
Continuation of excavation, filling in low areas, constructing new roads, parking areas, garages and playground; landscaping areas in vicinity of officers’ and non-commissioned officers’ quarters; landscaping and fire prevention work around flying field; construction of one double tennis court in… read more
Resurface 400,000 square feet of landing runway, construct a 6′ woven wire fence around east and south sides, landscape the area adjacent to the Golden Gate Bridge Highway Approach.–Mooser, p. 88.
“It started out in 1933 as the Crocker Amazon Reservoir site, 55 acres at Geneva Avenue and Moscow Street belonging to the Public Utilities Commission. In 1934, the Recreation Commission requested and received permission to develop the property for recreational… read more
Rehabilitated and completed most of museum building, ventilation and heating.–Healy, p. 71. Unfortunately, this building was severely damaged in the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake. It was eventually demolished and replaced with the new structure which opened in 2005.
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) improved and paved Duncan Street during the Great Depression. Work consisted of 8,000 cubic yards earth and rock excavation and placing 1,000 cubic yards of red rock for surfacing from Hoffman to Kenyon Avenues…. read more
“This large structure covering an entire city block was built by the Public Buildings Branch of the Procurement Division to house various Federal offices in San Francisco. It houses the Navy Department, Veterans’ Bureau, War Department, Interior Department, the Weather… read more
Excavation for basement under barracks buildings Nos. 11 and 12, make apertures in concrete walls and install doors and windows. Install reinforced concrete floor.–Mooser, p. 95.
Landscaping and removing fire hazards on 403 acre military reserve adjacent to Fort Scott, San Francisco. Tree trimming and clearing under brush, constructing fire breaks, removing fallen logs and debris, thereby removing a serious fire hazard. And planting ice plant… read more
Fort Winfield Scott served as a Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) training and supply facility. Between 1933 and 1939, Fort Mason, which was under Fort Scott’s command, was the supply center for the several hundred CCC camps on the Pacific Coast…. read more
The October 3, 1938 Daily Pacific Builder reported that PWA funds $47,562 has been allotted for the construction of addition to what was then the Franklin Middle School.
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) improved the safety conditions for traffic and students at Galileo High School by constructing a pedestrian underpass under Bay Street. Built reinforced concrete tunnel connecting school and field; removed old 20 inch sewer and… read more
This improvement extended from Mission Street east to county line near Bayshore Boulevard, involving excavation and fill for sub base for roadway, sewer construction including catch basins, manholes, culverts, and appurtenances, removal of tracks, ties, poles, conduits and fixtures, moving… read more