• King Harbor Breakwater - Redondo Beach CA
    In 1939 the Public Works Administration (PWA) funded a 2300-foot long, L-shaped breakwater in jutting out from the coast at Redondo Beach, California.  It was constructed of rocks ferried over on barges from Catalina Island. The Redondo Beach breakwater was supposed to be the first segment of a small boat harbor, but it was not until the 1950s when more government funding became available that the old PWA breakwater was extended south to become the present-day King Harbor.
  • Post Office (demolished) - Redondo Beach CA
    A post office was built for Redondo Beach, California, in 1935 with Treasury Department funds. According to the December 13, 1935 Redondo Reflex, the Post Office was dedicated on December 7, 1935. The New Deal post office, located at 201 South Catalina Avenue, has since been demolished as part of the 'urban renewal' of the old town of Redondo Beach in the late 1960s. New Deal artworks created for the facility were moved to the current post office.  
  • Post Office Murals - Redondo Beach CA
    The Redondo Beach post office contains three oil on canvas murals by Paul Sample that were originally created for the since-demolished post office building at Catalina and Garnet street. The artwork relocated with the post office to its current location in 1977. The murals were painted in 1937 with TRAP funding. The murals depict "Sheep Farming and Ocean Near Redondo," "Excursion Train and Picknickers in the 90s" and "Fishing Redondo Dock".
  • Redondo Union High School Science Building - Redondo Beach CA
    The science building at Union High School, Redondo Beach, California, was funded by the Public Works Administration (PWA). It was built in 1939 and dedicated in November.  The building's style is Moderne with lovely Art Deco decorations in bas-relief around the entrances (nicely highlighted by paint colors in the 2014 photos). The science building is still in use. The PWA  also paid for a reconstruction of the Union High School auditorium (presumably damaged in the 1933 Long Beach earthquake).  That building was recently replaced. Connolly and Farman's 1939 report prematurely attributed these projects to the Works Progress Administration (WPA), but that did not come...