1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 56
  • Bridge Street Elementary School - Los Angeles CA
    Bridge Street Elementary School, which opened in 1907, was rebuilt with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA) between 1934 and 1935. In January 1934, the PWA allocated $9,380,000 to the Los Angeles Unified School District for the rehabilitation of schools damaged in the severe 1933 Long Beach earthquake.  One hundred and thirty schools would benefit from the system-wide loan and grant, with 2,500 men to be employed in rehabilitation work over 21 months. Upon receiving news of the PWA allocation, Board of Education member Arthur Eckman told the Los Angeles Times, “I am sure that every member of the board agrees with...
  • Bridge to Nowhere - Mt Baldy CA
    The Bridge to Nowhere in the San Gabriel Mountains north of Azusa, CA, did originally lead somewhere. It was built by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in 1936 as an alternate route to Wrightwood through the Angeles National Forest. However, the East Fork Road was still under construction when it was washed out by flooding in March 1938, leaving only the bridge standing. The Bridge to Nowhere, now accessible only by foot or horseback, is a popular site for bungee jumping.
  • Broadway St. Improvements - San Francisco CA
    The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) worked to improve many roads in San Francisco, including the stretch of Broadway St. (then simply Broadway) between Mason St. and Davis St.
  • Broadway Terrace Sewer Extension - Oakland CA
    In 1937, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) built an extension of the sanitary sewer up Broadway Terrace from Harbord Drive to Sheridan Road (just below the brow of the hills near Lake Temescal).  (Oakland Tribune 1937) The current state of the sewer line is unknown. Broadway Terrace is a major artery with water, gas, telephone and internet lines, and the concrete roadbed has been repeatedly cut through and repaired.   Judging from the placement of manhole covers, there appears to be two sewer lines running parallel along this stretch of road and another, probably older, line in the old Broadway Terrace...
  • Brockton Avenue Elementary School - Los Angeles CA
    Brockton Avenue Elementary School, which opened in 1918, was rebuilt with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA) between 1934 and 1935. In January 1934, the PWA allocated $9,380,000 to the Los Angeles Unified School District for the rehabilitation of schools damaged in the severe 1933 Long Beach earthquake.  One hundred and thirty schools would benefit from the system-wide loan and grant, with 2,500 men to be employed in rehabilitation work over 21 months. Upon receiving news of the PWA allocation, Board of Education member Arthur Eckman told the Los Angeles Times, “I am sure that every member of the board agrees with...
  • Brookside Golf Course Bridges - Pasadena CA
    Two Works Progress Administration concrete pedestrian bridges built over the Arroyo Seco flood control channel in the Brookside Golf Course next to the Rose Bowl.
  • Brookside Park Improvements - Pasadena CA
    "The Brookside Park Improvements, WP 25, WP 5702, WP 5704, WP 6978, WP 7716, WP 8101, WP 9534, WP 9624 and WP 9810, sponsored by the City of Pasadena, comprise a diversified construction program to improve the facilities and beauty of the park for the comfort, safety, and convenience of the public. Brookside Park, in the City of Pasadena, is a major recreational center, located in the Arroyo Seco and is one of the most popular parks in Los Angeles County. Many major golf tournaments are held on the Brookside course each year and the annual New Year's Day football...
  • Brookside Park Public Toilet - Pasadena CA
    A lattice steel public toilet built similarly to the one next to the Rose Bowl nearby. Two plaques on the front read "Built by United States Work Projects Administration 1940" and "Renovated by Public Works and Transportation Building Systems and Fleet Management Division 1995."
  • Brunswick St. Improvements - San Francisco CA
    The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) worked to improve many roads in San Francisco, including Brunswick St. "Consisted of excavation and disposal of 3,550 cubic yards of earth and rock, making available for use a hitherto ungraded street from Allison to Concord Street, the same as Silver Avenue."--Healy, p. 44.
  • Brush School Improvements - Santa Rosa CA
    The WPA made extensive improvements to Brush School, Santa Rosa, California, under Official Project Number 65-3-364. The work to the one-room school house included building stone retaining walls, a playground and a presumed tennis court (Goddard, 1976: 72-74). Though now under private ownership, the stone walls and tennis court are visible from the public right-of-way. (Goddard does not identify the specific year of construction but it can be inferred from the WPA project number).
  • Bryant Elementary School - San Francisco CA
    The Public Works Administration (PWA) funded construction of the Buena Vista Elementary School (now Bryant Elementary) in the 1930s.  We believe that the New Deal building is still in place. A record card for the project in the National Archives states that it included, "18 classrooms. A 'health' school. 'Various ailments' 'Special type of design suitable for the status of children's houses.' Near Sunshine School and General Hospital." (NARA) More information is needed on this site. The exact cost is unknown because this was one of a group of school projects in San Francisco for which the PWA laid out almost $3 million.
  • Buchanan Street Elementary School - Los Angeles CA
    Buchanan Street Elementary School, which opened in 1913, was rebuilt with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA) between 1934 and 1935. In January 1934, the PWA allocated $9,380,000 to the Los Angeles Unified School District for the rehabilitation of schools damaged in the severe 1933 Long Beach earthquake.  One hundred and thirty schools would benefit from the system-wide loan and grant, with 2,500 men to be employed in rehabilitation work over 21 months. Upon receiving news of the PWA allocation, Board of Education member Arthur Eckman told the Los Angeles Times, “I am sure that every member of the board agrees with...
  • Budlong Avenue Elementary School - Los Angeles CA
    Budlong Avenue Elementary School, which opened in 1916, was rebuilt with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA) between 1934 and 1935. In January 1934, the PWA allocated $9,380,000 to the Los Angeles Unified School District for the rehabilitation of schools damaged in the severe 1933 Long Beach earthquake.  One hundred and thirty schools would benefit from the system-wide loan and grant, with 2,500 men to be employed in rehabilitation work over 21 months. Upon receiving news of the PWA allocation, Board of Education member Arthur Eckman told the Los Angeles Times, “I am sure that every member of the board agrees with...
  • Buena Vista Park - San Francisco CA
    '(36 Acres) Work done consisted of rocking 1,500 lineal feet of paths 8 feet wide, surfacing 132,960 square feet of foot paths, resurfacing 22,300 square feet of drives, laying 15, 455 lineal feet of rock gutters, building 6,000 square feet of log retaining walls, 72 rock steps and coping, rubble masonry wall, surfacing 21,600 square feet of tennis courts, erecting 13,590 square feet of standard chain link fence, installing 2,800 lineal feet of pipe irrigation system, grading two small playgrounds, constructing 18,900 square feet of artificial stone sidewalk, spreading 1,000 cubic yards loam, planting shrubs furnished by the Park Commission...
  • Bullard Avenue Street Repair - Clovis CA
    According to the Clovis Independent, the Civil Works Administration (CWA) provided funds to Fresno County in 1934, from which the "City of Clovis will have Sixth Street graded from Fulton to Polasky to drain Fulton Street, enlargement and raising of levee on drainage ditch on Ninth Street with a new culvert installed on the same ditch. These projects will cost about $800."  CWA funding was used almost entirely to hire unemployed workers in the winter of 1933-34. The name of 6th St has been changed to Bullard Avenue. This investigator didn't see any sign of the ditch. 
  • Bundy Drive - Los Angeles CA
    The WPA worked on Bundy Drive in 1941.
  • Burbank Elementary School - Modesto CA
    Burbank Elementary School was built in 1939 by the Works Progress Administration (WPA). The original school appears to consist of three buildings, all long and low in the style of Spanish mission residential buildings.  All have covered, pillared breezeways along the entire front, with door to each classroom opening onto those outdoor corridors. The school has had additions and underwent a major renovation in recent years, according to a staffer who spoke to us in 2023.  The original design had tile roofs, as shown in 2010 photo, which have been changed to metal roofs.    
  • Burbank High School - Burbank CA
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) partially demolished and rebuilt Burbank High School in Burbank, CA, which had suffered damage in the severe 1933 Long Beach earthquake.
  • Burlingame High School Mural - Burlingame CA
    This 6' X 68' mural, painted by Frederick Alexander Pawla (1877-1964) with Federal Art Project (FAP) funds, was removed and reinstalled with some controversy in 1973. " It was commissioned by the W.P.A. (Works Progress Administration), and its six-foot-tall canvas panels framed the entrance to the auditorium." (telenaut.com)  
  • Burlingame Waste Water Treatment Facility - Burlingame CA
    This PWA project was originally listed as "Burlingame sewage disposal plant."
  • Burns Creek Bridge - Big Sur CA
    $75,000 in federal funds constructed this steel and concrete bridge over Burns Creek on former State Route 56, now State Route 1 (Cabrillo Highway) in Big Sur, California, near the location of the famous Esalen Institute.
  • Bus Garage for Marysville High School - Marysville CA
    A brick garage built by the WPA for Marysville High School: "Gives the school district space to store and repair school buses, which heretofore sat out in the weather, and repairs to buses had to be done by private shops." (from the Verso below)
  • Bush St. Improvements - San Francisco CA
    The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) worked to improve many roads in San Francisco, including the stretch of Bush St. between Fillmore St. and Presidio Ave.
  • Bushnell Way Elementary School - Los Angeles CA
    This school was originally built in 1910 as the American Way School, and rebuilt in the 1920's. Along with many schools in the area, the school was damaged in the 1933 Long Beach earthquake. It was rebuilt by New Deal workers (likely the PWA) and looks today as it was built then.  
  • Bushnell Way Elementary School - Los Angeles CA
    Bushnell Way Elementary School (formerly Hermon Elementary School), which opened in 1912, was rebuilt with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA) between 1934 and 1935. In January 1934, the PWA allocated $9,380,000 to the Los Angeles Unified School District for the rehabilitation of schools damaged in the severe 1933 Long Beach earthquake.  One hundred and thirty schools would benefit from the system-wide loan and grant, with 2,500 men to be employed in rehabilitation work over 21 months. Upon receiving news of the PWA allocation, Board of Education member Arthur Eckman told the Los Angeles Times, “I am sure that every member of...
  • Cabrillo Avenue Elementary School - San Pedro CA
    Cabrillo Avenue Elementary School, which opened in 1927, was rebuilt with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA) between 1934 and 1935. In January 1934, the PWA allocated $9,380,000 to the Los Angeles Unified School District for the rehabilitation of schools damaged in the severe 1933 Long Beach earthquake.  One hundred and thirty schools would benefit from the system-wide loan and grant, with 2,500 men to be employed in rehabilitation work over 21 months. Upon receiving news of the PWA allocation, Board of Education member Arthur Eckman told the Los Angeles Times, “I am sure that every member of the board agrees with...
  • Cabrillo Beach Park Statue - San Pedro CA
    In 1542 Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo became the first European explorer to see the coast of California. This statue of the explorer "Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo" was made in cast concrete by Henry Lion in 1936. It was a Federal Art Project. It stands on the shore near the San Pedro Breakwater.
  • Cabrillo Elementary School Improvements - San Diego CA
    The WPA improved the recreation area at the Cabrillo School.
  • Cabrillo Playground - San Francisco CA
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built a field house (recreation hall) and athletic courts at the Cabrillo Playground in San Francisco, CA.   The exact date of this work is unknown to us. "Constructed field house for district recreation headquarters; basketball and 2 tennis courts, 1 volleyball etc. This improvement provided facilities for intensive supervised play." (Healy, p. 63). The "Hansel & Gretel" style field house, with restrooms, is still there, as are basketball and tennis courts which have been greatly modernized in recent years.
  • Cahuenga Pass Freeway - Los Angeles CA
    This project involved two separate roads, 48 feet wide (four lanes each way) with Pacific Electric Tracks in the center. It included the Pilgrimage Bridge (Vine St) and adjacent frontage roads, Barham Blvd overcrossing and Barham offramps.
  • Cal Fire Station #12 - San Luis Obispo CA
    In 1937, the California Department of Natural Resources sponsored the Works Progress Administration to "Construct warehouse, garage, barracks, and residence; install refrigeration plant, water mains, and sewer facilities; landscape and improve grounds; and perform other appurtenant and incidental work, at and in the City of San Luis Obispo, San Luis Obispo County. All work under this project is in connection with the construction and development of buildings and facilities to be used solely in the prosecution of the normal functions of the State Forestry Division, Department of Natural Resources. In addition to projects specifically approved. State owned property." WPA...
  • Caldecott Tunnel - Oakland CA
    The original Caldecott Tunnel was built with the aid of the Public Works Administration (PWA). Out of a total cost of $4 million, the PWA provided $1.1 million, the state $700,000 and the highway district sold $2.3 million in bonds, which were repaid from gas tax revenues (Oakland Tribune 1937).  Plans for the tunnel had long been in the works, as automobiles began to replace trolleys after World War I. A Joint Highway District was created in 1929 to undertake the project and money was sought from the federal government from the outset of the New Deal (Tribune 1933).  Once PWA...
  • Caldecott Tunnel Approach Roads (former) - Oakland CA
    The original two-bore Caldecott Tunnel was built with the aid of the Public Works Administration (PWA). Out of a total cost of $4 million, the PWA provided $1.1 million, the state $700,000 and the highway district $2.3 million in bonds, which were repaid from gas tax revenues (Oakland Tribune 1937).  Plans for the tunnel had long been in the works as automobiles began to replace trolleys after World War I.  A Joint Highway District was created in 1929 to undertake the project and money was sought from the federal government from the outset of the New Deal.  Once PWA funding was...
  • CalFire Humboldt-Del Norte Unit - Fortuna CA
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built an administration and residence building for the fire-fighting arm of the California Division of Forestry in Humboldt County in 1941.  This is now a unit of Cal-Fire, the statewide forest and wildfire agency. The four or five building complex appears to have been constructed all at the same time and in the same style.  It is not clear if the WPA work went beyond a single building or the Division of Forestry added the rest of the structures.
  • Calhoun Terrace - San Francisco CA
    By building abutments and retaining walls, access was made possible to properties hereto inaccessible due to precipitous slopes of the hill. this work was of a precarious nature and required skill and courage. The photographs show the little homes on the edge of the slope. Ordinarily this work would be done by a contractor specializing in underpinning and foundation work.--Healy, p. 49.
  • California 20 - Marysville CA
    $5,000 in federal funds were used for grading and surfacing 1 mile of California Route 20 (formerly CR 15) from the Southern Pacific RR underpass to the east end of the city, during the Great Depression.
  • California Academy of Science - San Francisco CA
    Repaired roof and made ground repairs.--Healy, p. 70. WPA workmen also worked on the African wildlife exhibit.
  • California National Guard Airport - Los Angeles CA
    Under project number 5517, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) graded and improved a national guard airfield on the site of Griffith Park where the zoo and Autry Museum are currently. $28,491 was spent by the federal government with $7,489 by the local sponsor. Total was $35,980. It employed 40 men on average for 8 months. Built in the mid 20's as the Griffith Park Aerodrome, the National Guard Air Service's 40th Air Corps Division (115th Observation Squadron) established a base & laid 2 runways: 3,600' northwest/southeast & 2,975' oil & gravel north/south strips. Training missions were flown from Griffith Park until...
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 56