1 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56
  • Veterans Memorial Building - San Leandro CA
    The Veterans Memorial building in San Leandro was constructed in 1934 by the county of Alameda with the aide of funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA).  The building dedication was held on September 23, 1934.  The site was purchased by the city of San Leandro in 1933 for $65,000 and the building cost $80,000. It was designed by Henry Meyer, Mildred Meyer and George Klinkhardt and the contractor was George Peterson. A new wing was added on the south side of the building, with a cornerstone that says "1950" -- which is confusing since there is no other cornerstone or plaque giving...
  • Veterans Memorial Building (demolished) - Lafayette CA
    "Financed by State bond money the Lafayette Veterans Memorial Building was located at the SE corner of Mt. Diablo Boulevard and First Street and constructed during the period 1938-1939 as a Works Progress Administration (WPA) project. Much of the interior finish labor was provided by Lafayette American Legion Post 517 and the building was dedicated by Post 517 in mid-1939." The building was used for a variety of purposes over the years, but the veterans function eventually moved to a new building: "Once the new building was complete the veterans moved during the winter of 2005-2006. Once the move was completed...
  • Veterans Memorial Building (demolished) Improvements - Walnut Creek CA
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) performed minor repair work at the old wooden Veterans Memorial Building in Walnut Creek, California. "Dedicated in 1925, Walnut Creek’s Veterans Memorial Building served as a meeting place for local veterans and other organizations and frequently hosted dances in the second-floor ballroom. For a number of years, the building also doubled as a County courthouse. The building was razed in 2006, and local veterans have a new building in Lafayette." WPA Project No. 65-3-2793, App. Date 11/20/35, $302, "Cleaning interior woodwork and painting interior rooms, halls and floors of Memorial Building." WPA Project No. 65-3-2703, App. Date 2-3-36,...
  • Veterans Memorial Building Improvements - Concord CA
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) conducted work at the Veterans Memorial Building in Concord, California. "Constructed in 1929, The Veterans Memorial Building served briefly as city hall. Today, numbers of community meetings and social gatherings are held there." concordhistory.com WPA Project No. 65-3-2740, $302, App. Date 11-20-35, "Cleaning interior wood works, painting interior wood works in the county owned Memorial Building." WPA Project No. 65-3-2740, $225, App. Date 2-3-36, "Cleaning interior woodwork & painting interior rooms, halls & floors of the County owned Memorial Bldg. located in the town of Concord."
  • Veterans Memorial Building Repairs - El Cerrito CA
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) employed 14 persons during the Great Depression in a WPA painting job on the 1932 Veterans Memorial building. According to posts on the building Facebook page, the building continues to house many community events. WPA Project No. 165-3-2146, App. Date Apr 2, 1937, $1,217, Total Funds $1,484, Average Employed 14, Federal Man-Hours 1,096, "Paint the Municipal Buildings in the city of El Cerrito, Contra Costa County and perform work incidental thereto. Exclusive of projects specifically approved. City owned property."
  • Veterans' Memorial Building & Park - Santa Maria CA
    The Veterans' Memorial Building was constructed in 1934-36 with financial aid from the federal Public Works Administration (PWA) and unemployed workers drawn from the State Emergency Relief Administration (SERA), which was funded largely by federal government assistance.   It is a beautiful example of Spanish Colonial Revival architecture, designed by local architect Rudolph Polley. It features a bell tower, a large auditorium, a serene courtyard and some interior detailing. It is in excellent condition to this day (2019). A park was laid out at the same time across the street, using county funds and probably relief workers, as well. The building (and park) passed...
  • Vicente Creek Bridge - Big Sur CA
    A concrete bridge built on former State Route 56 (today State Route 1 the Cabrillo Highway) under a federal grant of $48,000.
  • Vicente Playground - San Francisco CA
    Built convenience station and landscaped.--Healy, p. 65.
  • Victor Highway - CA
    The CWA built Victor Highway, which runs between Lodi and Lockeford, through Victor, and it is still in use.
  • Victory-Vanowen Park - North Hollywood CA
    The Annual Report from 1932-33 of the Los Angeles Board of Park Commissioners records extensive federal aid in developing the park: "Victory Vanowen Park is one of the largest parks in the San Fernando Valley, with an area of a little over ninety acres. This park is bounded by Whitsett Avenue, Laurel Canyon Boulevard, and Calvert Street. An enormous amount of improvement work was done here with the help of the R.F.C. and County Welfare labor. New roads, a length of 6,110 feet, were constructed, which required the grading of 4,072 cubic yards of dirt, and installing 8,850 feet of redwood...
  • Vignes Street Grade Project - Los Angeles CA
    The construction of a large concrete bridge carrying railroad traffic to Los Angeles's Union Station was enabled by the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works during the Great Depression. The bridge is still in use today.
  • Vine Street Elementary School - Los Angeles CA
    Vine Street Elementary School, which opened in 1909, was rebuilt with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA) between 1934 and 1935. In January 1934, the PWA allocated $9,380,000 to the Los Angeles Unified School District for the rehabilitation of schools damaged in the severe 1933 Long Beach earthquake. One hundred and thirty schools would benefit from the system-wide loan and grant, with 2,500 men to be employed in rehabilitation work over 21 months. Upon receiving news of the PWA allocation, Board of Education member Arthur Eckman told the Los Angeles Times, “I am sure that every member of the board agrees...
  • Virgil Middle School - Los Angeles CA
    Virgil Middle School (formerly Junior High School), which opened in 1914, was rebuilt with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA) between 1934 and 1935. In January 1934, the PWA allocated $9,380,000 to the Los Angeles Unified School District for the rehabilitation of schools damaged in the severe 1933 Long Beach earthquake.  One hundred and thirty schools would benefit from the system-wide loan and grant, with 2,500 men to be employed in rehabilitation work over 21 months. Upon receiving news of the PWA allocation, Board of Education member Arthur Eckman told the Los Angeles Times, “I am sure that every member of the...
  • Virgil Middle School: Heller Mural - Los Angeles CA
    In 1939, Bessie Pierce Heller (assisted by Grace Measham) painted a mural, "The Map Makers of the World," for Virgil Middle School in Los Angeles, CA. The mural, a two-panel encaustic fresco located in the school library, received funding from the WPA Federal Art Project (FAP). The south wall features Leif Erickson landing on Vineland, Marco Polo at the court of Kublai Khan, and Columbus landing on the Bahamas. The north wall features Magellan passing through stormy straits, Captain Cook exploring the South Sea Islands, and Admiral Byrd in Antarctica. The mural is signed “Federal Art Project W.P.A. ‘39” on the...
  • Virgil Middle School: Sorensen Reliefs - Los Angeles CA
    Under the auspices of the WPA Federal Art Project (FAP), artist Rex Sorensen created a pair of wooden relief sculptures. One depicts a woman, boy, cougar and deer with a tree in the background; the other depicts a man bent over a deer. Now located in the library at Virgil Middle School in Los Angeles, CA, the rear of each relief is inscribed with the artist's name and "WPA Federal Art Project."
  • Virginia Road Elementary School - Los Angeles CA
    Virginia Road Elementary School, which opened in 1924, was rebuilt with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA) between 1934 and 1935. In January 1934, the PWA allocated $9,380,000 to the Los Angeles Unified School District for the rehabilitation of schools damaged in the severe 1933 Long Beach earthquake. One hundred and thirty schools would benefit from the system-wide loan and grant, with 2,500 men to be employed in rehabilitation work over 21 months. Upon receiving news of the PWA allocation, Board of Education member Arthur Eckman told the Los Angeles Times, “I am sure that every member of the board agrees...
  • Visalia Municipal Airport Improvements - Visalia CA
    The Visalia Municipal airport was founded in 1927. In 1941, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) spent $375,000 improving the airport.  The work included the construction of a new terminal building and a new, longer runway of nearly 5000 feet. WPA work ceased when the War Department took control of the airport in 1942 with the onset of the Second World War. It is unknown if the current terminal building (pictured) is the one built by the WPA or if any other buildings remain from that time.
  • Visalia Municipal Hospital (demolished) - Visalia CA
    The Public Works Administration (PWA) paid for a municipal hospital for Visalia CA in 1936.  The 68 bed facility served the community of Visalia until 1969, when it was demolished to make way for the new Kaweah Delta Medical center (pictured).
  • Visalia Post Office - Visalia CA
    Red brick and beautiful stone detailing adorn this historic New Deal post office, whose construction began in 1933.
  • Visitacion Nursery School - San Francisco CA
    The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed San Francisco's old Visitacion Nursery School during the Great Depression. The agency: Built a new community center with facilities for a nursery school.--Healy, p.72.
  • Visitacion Valley Auditorium - San Francisco CA
    "In later audits 'school' and 'auditorium' listed separately. Could be separate buildings?" Contributor note: The auditorium is attached to the school. The structure was renovated a few years prior to 2018.
  • Visitacion Valley Elementary School - San Francisco CA
    "18 classrooms. Includes auditorium; in later audits 'school' and 'auditorium' listed separately. Same year as Glen Park. Could be separate buildings?"
  • Visitacion Valley Playground - San Francisco CA
    The WPA worked on the Visitacion Valley Playground.
  • Vista Del Mar Lifeguard Station - Playa Del Ray CA
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) employed 19 men in work on the station in 1940 totaling 11,560 man hours. Expenditures were $6,752 and $449 for other. The station is currently abandoned.
  • W Holt Boulevard - Ontario CA
    New Deal federal funds totaling $35,000 allowed for the widening and paving of A Street (today W Holt Blvd) 1.6 miles from San Antonio Ave to S Cucamonga Ave which was at the time was the city limits. Holt Blvd, along with Valley Blvd was once the original alignment for Route 60.
  • Wadsworth Avenue Elementary School - Los Angeles CA
    Wadsworth Avenue Elementary School, which opened in 1912, was rebuilt with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA) between 1934 and 1935. In January 1934, the PWA allocated $9,380,000 to the Los Angeles Unified School District for the rehabilitation of schools damaged in the severe 1933 Long Beach earthquake. One hundred and thirty schools would benefit from the system-wide loan and grant, with 2,500 men to be employed in rehabilitation work over 21 months. Upon receiving news of the PWA allocation, Board of Education member Arthur Eckman told the Los Angeles Times, “I am sure that every member of the board agrees...
  • Walnut Creek Grammar School Playground Improvements (demolished) - Walnut Creek CA
    The Walnut Creek grammar school operated from 1871 to 1956 to serve a very sparse population of 1,014 (1930 census). The shopping center Plaza Esquela has a plaque noting the former location of the Grammar School. WPA Project No. 165-3-3137, App. Date Apr 22, 1937, $12,270, Total Funds $14,650, Average Employed 63, Federal Man-Hours 20,228, Sponsor: Walnut Creek School District, "Improve playground at the Walnut Creek Grammar School in the city of Walnut Creek, Contra Costa County, by grading and surfacing area, constructing retaining walls, erecting fence, constructing baseball backstop, reconstructing handball court, etc. Exclusive of projects specifically approved. Walnut Creek...
  • Walter Reed Middle School - North Hollywood CA
    "Well-known Los Angeles architect John C. Austin designed the Renaissance-inspired buildings of North Hollywood Junior High School (which was renamed in 1957). In addition to providing the plans for numerous schools throughout the Los Angeles region, Austin, either alone or in association with other architects, is credited for the architecture of the Griffith Park Observatory, Shrine Auditorium, and Los Angeles City Hall." - https://www.laschools.org/employee/design/fs-studies-and-reports/download/LAUSD_Presentation_March_2002.pdf?version_id=1895945 An image of the school was also used, apparently accidentally, as a backdrop to one of John McCain's campaign speeches in 2008! - https://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2008/09/mccain-and-that.html
  • Warden's Residence Camp Idyllwild - San Bernardino National Forest CA
    The Civilian Conservation Corps built the warden’s residence at Mount San Jacinto State Park. The warden’s residence is located near the park entrance, off to the right. It is currently being used as ranger housing.
  • Wards Ferry Road - Sonora CA
    According to Tuolumne County Historian Carlo De Ferrari, the Works Progress Administration worked extensively along Wards Ferry Road, doing widening and other improvement work. Excerpts from WPA job cards: WPA Project No. 65-3-100, Date 8/27/35, $12,124, "Street Repairs". WPA Project No. 65-3-102 Date 8/27/35, $11,293, "New road construction." WPA Project No. 65-3-103, Date 8/27/35, $11,232, "Road Improvement" WPA Project No. 65-3-3836, Date 12/14/35, $1,947, "Construct retaining wall." WPA Project No. 65-3-4400, Date 1/17/36, $8,977, "Construction of a concrete bridge and a new road to approach bridge."
  • Wasco Fire Station (former) - Wasco CA
    The New Deal funded a fire station at the corner of 8th and F Streets in Wasco. The city fire department moved to a new building in 1984, however, the adobe, red-roofed building at 8th and F is most likely the original New Deal structure.
  • Wash Area Stone Wall - Sierra Madre CA
    A stone wall along the north side of an overflow catchment field that typifies CCC water projects constructed in the area.
  • Washington Accelerated Elementary - Pasadena CA
    The WPA made improvements to the school in the 1930s, constructing a new cafeteria and a one story frame, stucco building. They also made extensive ground improvements including: grading, landscaping, seeding, walkways, drives, walls, fences, etc. The Pasadena Museum of History explains the school's construction history: 1 of 27 schools in Pasadena Ca that were repaired, demolished, or reinforced by either the WPA or PWA following the 1933 Long Beach earthquake. 1884 Built somewhere on Washington St. 1909 Moved to a new facility at the current location on Raymond Ave. 1925 Rebuilt. 1933 Damaged by the Long Beach earthquake. 1935 Rebuilt by the WPA
  • Washington Colony Cemetery - Easton CA
    According to a Works Progress Administration index card $1,580 was spent to "Improve cemetery on Elm Avenue south of Easton in Fresno County. Work to include trimming, clearing and removing trees, landscaping and grading, together with work incidental thereto. The sponsor is a political subdivision of the state. In addition to projects specifically approved. Washington Colony Cemetery District owned property." The sponsors contribution was $306. The job was begun Dec. 17, 1936, took 2 months to complete and employed 12 people.
  • Washington Elementary School Roof Repair - San Gabriel CA
    The WPA repaired the roof of the Washington School in the 1930s.
  • Washington High School Gymnasium - Fresno CA
    Washington Union High School in the small Fresno County town of Easton received $45,000 for the building of a new gymnasium in 1940.
  • Washington Middle School Mural – Long Beach CA
    P. G. Napolitano painted a mural for Washington Middle School in Long Beach, CA. The mural, located in the school's science building, received funding from the Federal Arts Project (FAP). “Mr. Napolitano’s main interest has always been in murals, which he executes in tempra (egg white), in frescoes, and in Sgraffito which he introduced here in creative work. Much of his work is marked by the omission of pretty detail and mere decorativeness until only the essential stand out; economy of line, rhythm, and strength are the three uppermost qualities” (Wells, p. 22). Napolitano's other FAP murals in the region are...
  • Washington Middle School Reconstruction - Long Beach CA
    The Public Works Administration (PWA) paid for the reconstruction of Washington Middle School in Long Beach, CA, after the school was heavily damaged in the 1933 Long Beach earthquake. The school reopened in 1935. According to the school's website, Washington Middle School was originally constructed in 1921 (with the addition of a shop building in 1926). The architects were W. Horace Austin of Long Beach and John C. Austin of Los Angeles.  Curiously, the school history fails to mention the 1933 earthquake and the reconstruction paid for by the New Deal!  Yet documents in the National Archives clearly state that the school...
1 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56