“The historic buildings at Jefferson High School date to the rebuilding of the school district following the Long Beach Earthquake in 1933. Prominent Los Angeles architect Stiles O. Clements produced the designs for these outstanding examples of Streamline Moderne styling.”… read more
“History of the Recorded Word” by Ross Dickinson was painted in 1937 with WPA Federal Art Project funds. Medium: oil on canvas Size: 4 panels, each 10′ h x 5.5′ w
This sculptor by Djey el Djey entitled “The Vanquished Race” (also referred to as the “The Vanishing Race” was commissioned by the WPA’s Fine Arts Program in 1936. Master sculptor Lorado Taft lauded sculptor Djey el Djey, saying, “I will… read more
Constructed between 1937 and 1940, the U.S. Courthouse-Western Division is seventeen stories tall and at the time of its completion “was the largest federal building in the western United States. The post office, located on the ground and first floors, moved… read more
This oil on canvas by Edward Biberman entitled “Los Angeles – Prehistoric and Spanish Colonial” was commissioned by the Treasury Section of Fine Arts at the time of the building’s construction. It was removed from the building when the post… read more
Lucien Labaudt painted two murals for what was then the Los Angeles Post Office and Courthouse, “Life on the Old Spanish and American Ranchos” (1938), and “Aerodynamism” (1941). These murals were both removed when the post office moved out of… read more
The PWA helped with the reconstruction of parts of the school after it was damaged in the 1933 Long Beach Earthquake. The school’s architectural style is very distinctive, recalling Spain’s Alhambra or the Romanesque of Northern Italy. The gymnasium and… read more
“FOUR grade separation projects recently completely in Los Angeles are at Mission Road, Soto Street and Valley Boulevard, Soto St between Pico Street and Washington Boulevard, and at Firestone Boulevard. These projects have been financed from funds set aside by… read more
"The sculptural enhancement of the entry of Van Ness Elementary School is reminiscent of the Gothic style. ArchitectsNoerenbergand Johnson were responsible for the design of the 1923 building."
"When Venice High School first opened, classes were held in the former Lagoon Bathhouse. A campus in the Neoclassical style was constructed in 1913-1914, but was demolished following the 1933 Long Beach Earthquake. The architectural firm of Austin and Ashley,… read more
Originally founded in 1927, the old brick structures were damaged during the 1933 Long Beach Earthquake and replaced with more modern buildings with New Deal help.
A mission revival style building. In July 1933, the Illustrated Daily News reported that under various projects that were being initiated under the CWA and CCC in Griffith Park as part of the first large wave of mass employment projects… read more