This limestone sculpture “Young Lincoln” by James Hansen depicts a young, shirtless, pensive Lincoln holding a book. It stands across the lobby from Garner’s sculpture of “Law.” The information plaque describes the statue: “The Fine Arts Section of the U.S…. read more
These cast stone eagle facades decorating the outside of the courthouse were carved by Henry Lion in 1938 with support from the Treasury Section of Fine Arts.
Mines Field opened as the official airport of Los Angeles in 1930, but when it applied for WPA funds in 1935, it was rejected because the land was still leased from private owners. In 1937, the city took full control… read more
“The Los Angeles National Cemetery was dedicated on May 22, 1889, a few days after the first interment. The Works Progress Administration constructed the Spanish Revival style administration building-chapel and the indoor columbarium at the National Cemetery in the late… read more
“Designed as the largest enclosed structure without walls in the world by noted California architects Robert Clements and Associates, this Art Deco building, constructed between 1938 and 1941 by the WPA, is the largest and second-oldest Navy Reserve Center in… read more
This Mission Revival style building was built under the Roosevelt Administration and served as the main mail distribution for LA until 1994. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1985. Only a part of this structure… read more
This fresco in the Post Office Terminal Annex lobby consists of eleven semi-circular, tempera on plaster “lunettes” by Boris Deutsch depicting “Cultural Contributions of North, South and Central America.” The murals were funded by the Treasury Section of Fine Arts… read more
The mosaic, “Spanish California” was created by Stanton Macdonald-Wright for the Thomas Edison Middle School in Los Angeles, and hangs in the school’s auditorium foyer. Tiles of different shapes give the mural a variety of textures. Macdonald-Wright was an unemployed… read more
A mosaic mural entitled “Early California,” created by Stanton MacDonald-Wright for the Thomas Edison Middle School, has been lost. Stanton MacDonald-Wright was an unemployed artist hired by the Federal Art Project (FAP) in 1937.
After the original 1910 school building was destroyed in the 1933 earthquake, the current building was financed by the PWA: “Architects John and Donald Parkinson, successors to the architectural firm of Parkinson and Bergstrom which had provided the design for… read more
$110,000 from the Federal Governement helped to construct an elegant concrete Art Deco bridge over the Pacific Electric tracks to replace an obsolete narrow wooden bridge. It was replaced in 1972 by the current utilitarian structure.
DON WARREN, Senior Bridge Engineer February 1937 issue of California Highway and Public Works magazine: “… The projects were intended to relieve labor and carried the condition that as far as practical, labor was to come from the relief rolls… read more
1 of 4 schools that included Emerson, Willard, and Marshal schools within the Garvey School District of Los Angeles that were rebuilt following the 1933 Long Beach earthquake under the supervision and sponsorship of the school district. L.A.C.R.A. (Los Angeles… read more
From the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County description plaque: “Los Angeles planners wanted to visualize the city center to improve roads, bridges, tunnels, and other public works. Sponsored by the Works Progress Administration, a team of City Planning… read more
A 1938 report from the Los Angeles Department of Playground and Recreation describes the WPA’s role in creating the Rancho Cienega recreation area: “Forerunner of the great regional recreation centers of the future, the Rancho Cienega Playground was the outstanding… read more
“The Riverside Drive Improvement, Work Project Nos. 145 and 6951, was sponsored by the County of Los Angeles. The work involved the construction and improvement of Riverside Drive from Victory Boulevard Bridge [a P.W.A. project] to Barham Boulevard, a distance… read more
One of 4 bridge projects in Los Angeles financed from funds set aside by the Federal Government to be used on grade separation projects. On these projects the State acted as an agent for the Federal Government, contracting and supervising… read more
A 1939 report on WPA work in Southern California described the construction of Stocker Avenue: “Work Projects No. 1638 and 7240, sponsored by Los Angeles County, was constructed to provide outlet facilities to Crenshaw Boulevard for the residents of the… read more
The New Deal Federal Public Works program contributed to the construction of this Los Angeles viaduct. In June 1934, California Highway and Public Works magazine reported the following: “A concrete viaduct that replaced a dilapidated 29 year old wooden and… read more