The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) carried out a complete restoration of the Mission La Purisima in Lompoc CA, 1934-41. It was an astonishing achievement, given the ruined state of the Mission and scarce historic sources to guide the work. The… read more
As part of the New Deal reconstruction of Mission La Purisima, the Federal Arts Project (FAP) of the Works Progress Administration (WPA) was asked to send in professional painters to finish the interior of the buildings. In 1938, FAP artists… read more
As part of the New Deal reconstruction of Mission La Purisima, Helen Seegert created a concrete fountain at the east end of the complex in 1936. It was paid for by the Federal Arts Project (FAP) of the Works Progress… read more
Two Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camps were established at what is today the La Purísima Mission State Historical Park: Camp La Purísima and Camp Lompoc. They were built back-to-back on the mesa above La Purísima Mission, but housed two separate companies… read more
Helen Seegert completed this 7′ x 12′ painted cement mural, entitled “Building the Mission,” in 1936 with funds provided by the Works Progress Administration’s Federal Art Project. It id viewable in the foyer of the Lompoc Veterans Memorial Building auditorium.
David Swanson completed this 3.5′ x 9′ wood carving, entitled “Indians and Father Lasuen,” in 1936 with funds provided by the Works Progress Administration’s Federal Art Project. It is viewable in the second floor club room, above the fireplace, in… read more