Works Project Administration (WPA) project No. 7214, sponsored by the city of Glendale. “This project provides for the construction of a reinforced concrete distributing reservoir of 5,000,000 gallon capacity with connecting pipe lines, and a roadway for maintenance and service…. read more
Several of the Community College (formerly Junior College) main buildings were designed and built by the PWA. “Construction of the new campus ran a little over budget and a bit behind schedule, which wasn’t bad since planning for these federally-subsidized… read more
This Glendale Junior College fountain “Memorial to C.A. Nelson” is by Robert Boag. Created out of small tiles, it is about five feet tall and has three tiers. The bottom shows an ocean scene, the middle prehistoric villagers, and the… read more
This WPA project include grading, landscaping, the construction of storm drains and other flood controls, and the construction of an athletic field with grandstand and tennis courts. The PWA had recently completed the college's buildings.
Petrachrome table and benches at Glendale Junior College. Round table and benches by Jane Mussy. Straight memorial bench artist unknown.
The WPA constructed a retaining wall around Herbert Hoover High School, and repaired the auditorium. Both the retaining wall and the auditorium still stand. The auditorium is the only remaining building from the original school construction. Figures below are for… read more
A very rare Vierendeel pony truss bridge over Verdugo Wash on Kenilworth Avenue in Glendale Ca. built by the Army Corp. of Engineers.
The Verdugo Wash Bridge is the first significant bridge on US 99 north of downtown Los Angeles. It is a steel girder structure built in 1939 by the US Army Corp of Engineers. The Verdugo Wash was lined with concrete… read more