"Funds from the WPA were used to construct four buildings and upgrade airfield infrastructure at Chandler Field in 1936-1937. An Administration Building (terminal), Administration Building annex, bathroom building and electrical control building, in varying styles, were added under this campaign…. read more
A New Deal Fresno brochure lists the swimming pool at Frank H. Ball park as being built by the PWA. The playground also received $42,000 for an NYA project to give youth training in building trades. The recreation building plaque… read more
The stadium was originally built in 1926, but later improved by the WPA. The archival photo pictured details each feature the WPA worked on at and surrounding this stadium, including new adjacent handball and tennis courts. The WPA work on… read more
This building is now on the National Register of Historic Places. The PWA Deco Moderne building was built by Allied Architects, a “Great Depression-era consortium between architects W. D. Coates, Charles H. Franklin, H. Rafael Lake, Ernest J. Kump, Sr.,… read more
This Dutch Modern Administration Building was built in 1936. It is H. P. #53 on the Fresno Local Register of Historic Resources. It was built by Charles Franklin, Ernest Kump Jr., and Alastair Simpson for Allied Architects of Fresno. “Constructed… read more
Built by Ernest J. Kump Jr. for Allied Architects of Fresno in 1936. Unfortunately the building was recently demolished.
Sequoia National Park and Kings Canyon National Park are contiguous. They are administered by the NPS together as the Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks. “During the Great Depression, the Civilian Conservation Corps worked in the parks to build and… read more
Formerly Fresno’s Main Post Office and subsequently its Downtown Station post office, building presently houses the Fresno United School District Education Center. “The U.S. Post Office building housed the main post office branch, as well as Federal courtroom sand offices,… read more
These two terra-cotta bas reliefs—one of a boy and one of a girl, both standing by a post office box—are about 5 feet tall and made from terra cotta. They are titled “RFD 1” and “RFD 2,” and were created… read more
Artist William H. Calfee created this cast concrete sculpture for the post office exterior in 1940 under the auspices of the Treasury Section of Fine Arts.
A poured stone relief of a woman and a set of scales signifying “Justice.” Approximately 10′ high x 5′ wide x 1′ deep. The sculpture was created in 1940 by Archibald Garner with support from the Treasury Section of Fine… read more