Thomas Laman painted these two egg tempera on canvas murals for the Eureka post office and courthouse, which was sold to a private entity in 2002. Previously, “Mining and Forestry” hung behind the judge’s bench, and “Water and Land” on… read more
“As Eureka city school students returned to begin the 1938-1939 school year, great changes were in the air. While the dark storm clouds of war brewed in Europe, the United States economy was continuing its recovery from the now decade-long… read more
"A 1935 WPA project, the massive Eureka Muni is an example of the Art Deco style. Fluted piers separate the extrance bays between the heavy fluted corners. The section is embellished with abstracted, two-dimensional ornament typical of the style. At… read more
WPA crews conducted extensive renovations to Fort Humboldt between 1935 and 1938. From Wikipedia: “In the 1930s, local veteran organizations became interested in restoration of the fort. They took pictures, sent to the National Archives in Washington, D.C. for plans… read more
A two story stucco Spanish Colonial Revival style building built by the PWA in 1939. It was designed by Frank Georgeson.
“Eureka CA – Awarded (with PWA approval) to United Concrete Pipe Corporation, 85th St. and Vermont Ave., Los Angeles, $774,695, by City Clerk, Eureka, for construction of a pipeline unit of the Mad River Water Supply Project (PWA Project 6668-2).”… read more