The February 1934 issue of California Highway and Public Works describes federal funding for extensive road work from Oakland to Richmond. When the Key System replaced portions of their lightrail trolley with bus service, federal funds helped with track removal… read more
These relief panels are on the Florence Schwimley Theater. The large bas relief was designed by Robert Howard, son of architect John Galen Howard.
“St. George and the Dragon” (1940) is on the west side of Berkeley High School, on building H. It is a cast stone relief located on the exterior of the building at Martin Luther King Jr. Way at Allston Way…. read more
From the sign pictured below: “These buildings are fine examples of the Art Deco style in the Bay Area. They were designed as an ensemble with the adjacent Berkeley High School Community Theater. Bas-reliefs and other surface decoration accentuate an… read more
“The actual Berkeley Marina, used by many people who sail on the Bay, was constructed as the Berkeley Yacht Harbor in the late 1930s by the Works Progress Administration in conjunction with its nearby work developing Aquatic Park.” – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkeley_Marina… read more
The WPA spread a new loam surface, painted bleachers, and installed playground lights, in addition to improving other playground conditions.
The WPA graded and surfaced the volleyball courts, graded and spread a new loam surface at the playground, painted bleachers, the Community House and outside fences, and re-landscaped.
This tempera and oil on canvas mural “Incidents in California History” by Suzanne Scheuer was painted in 1936-37 with funding from the Treasury Relief Art Project. Located in the Berkeley Main Post Office. This mural depicts the earliest inhabitants of… read more
“The Martin Luther King, Jr. Civic Center Building is a designated Berkeley landmark. The building was designed by noted Berkeley architect, James Plachek. The six-story art modern building was originally constructed for the Farm Credit Administration. It was built between… read more
‘… the land acquisition and most of the construction costs were covered by a local bond issue of $125,000… Research done when the park was declared a city landmark in the late 1990’s indicated that at least two small wall-mounted… read more
From the City Landmark sign pictured below: “Well sited in a triangular park, the building offers a harmonious gateway to the surrounding Northbrae neighborhood. It was designed in the Spanish Revival style with a low-pitched red tile roof, central tower,… read more
These two Byzantine-style mosaic murals by Helen Bruton and F. Alston Swift were installed in 1936, two years after the Art Gallery opened. They are located on the eastern facade, flanking the building’s double entrance. Each mural measures 18′ by… read more
Helen Bruton completed this 10′ by 20′ mosaic “Sculpture and Dance” in 1936 for the Works Progress Administration’s Federal Art Project. It is located on the east exterior of the old University Art Building.
Florence Alston Swift completed this 10′ by 20′ mosaic “Music and Painting” for the Works Progress Administration’s Federal Art Project in 1936. It is located on the east exterior of old University Art Building.
'Whittier School was built as the University Elementary Demonstration School and is among Berkeley's outstanding Classic Moderne buildings. The school building was designed to incorporate the most up-to-date educational facilities for 600 students as a 'hall of health,' full of… read more