The Works Progress Administration carried out ground improvements work at the Miller Valley School in Prescott, circa 1937. The exact location and condition of this structure is unknown to the Living New Deal.
“The Prescott Armory Historic District is an example of a community working together to provide public buildings, recreational spaces, and jobs for skilled and unskilled laborers. The Prescott Chamber of Commerce and the Rotary and Kiwanis Clubs were instrumental in… read more
“The “exceptional beauty” of Prescott’s fairgrounds had the administrators of Arizona’s Depression-era work programs enthusiastic about the land’s potential. “The timbered section which lies west of the grandstand which is used for the famous Smoki Smoke Dance, for the celebrated… read more
From 1936 to 1937, laborers for the Works Progress Administration (WPA) helped to complete the Sharlot Hall Museum, named after local historian, politician, and activist Sharlot Hall. Today, the museum serves as “an educational and cultural center, which fosters public… read more
“The Smoki Museum was designed to store prehistoric artifacts from Yavapai County excavations and equipment used by the Smoki People, a famous group of Prescott businessmen who dressed as Hopi Indians and performed Indian dances. Grace Sparkes, secretary of the… read more
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built sidewalks and driveway infrastructure on Washington Street between 1936-38. The WPA sidewalks are in good condition after eight decades. Contributor note: “These are WPA-marked sidewalks located in a “historical” district, and we would like… read more
A waterworks-improvement construction project in Prescott, Arizona was undertaken during the Great Depression with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA supplied a $60,000 loan and $20,871 grant; the total cost of the project was $20,800…. read more