The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) conducted improvement work at the old Alhambra School in Phoenix, Arizona during the 1930s. A gymnasium was also constructed in 1938. Living New Deal believes the old facility to be demolished.
The Public Works Administration (PWA) funded the construction of the State Capitol Annex Building in 1938. The University of Arizona Libraries Digital Collections information page on State Capitol murals mentions that PWA funds were used “to hire Jay Datus to paint… read more
The Works Progress Administration built the grandstand at the Arizona State Fair grounds in Phoenix. “As the Great Depression deepened and thousands were uprooted and looking for work, numerous fairgrounds were turned into camps for these transients. The Arizona State… read more
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed sidewalks along, and otherwise improved, Buckeye Road in Phoenix, Arizona during the 1930s.
“To portray ‘beauty, toil and simplicity’ was the goal of artist, R. Phillips Sanderson, when he designed the ‘Copper Miner.’ Sanderson had moved to Bisbee during the Depression and worked as a commercial artist. He was paid $30.00 per month… read more
“In order to provide its citizens and its large transient population with better park facilities, the city of Phoenix undertook the rehabilitation and beautification of existing parks and the acquisition of lands for the creation of new mountain and city… read more
The former Phoenix Federal Building and Post Office (now owned by ASU) was designed by Phoenix architectural firm Lescher and Mahoney in the Spanish Colonial Revival style. Construction had begun in 1932, before the advent of FDR’s presidency (and thus… read more
The historic former Federal Building and Post Office in Phoenix, Arizona houses examples of New Deal artwork. In 1937 the U.S. Treasury’s Section of Fine Arts commissioned artist La Verne Nelson Black to create two murals for the east wing… read more
“The old National Guard Arsenal is the second largest adobe building in continuous use in the United States. Funded by the Works Progress Administration in 1936, it was part of the recreation development of Papago Park, an expansive, designed landscape.”
Phoenix, Arizona’s North High School was constructed with the assistance of Public Works Administration (PWA) funds in 1939. “The North Phoenix High School was built to relieve the overcrowded Phoenix Union High School which enrolled over 5,000 students in 1939…. read more
“Civilian Conservation Corps camp SP5A constructed an amphitheater built into Papago Buttes southeast of the Arsenal between December 1933 and April 1934. The open-air amphitheater accommodates 3,500 people; it has been used for many functions, but most memorable were the… read more
The Public Works Administration funded the construction an auditorium building at the Junior College (today Phoenix College) in Phoenix. The facade architecture features Art Deco elements and white plaster finish. The auditorium is still in service today at Phoenix College.
” South Mountain Park was the focus of two Civilian Conservation Corps camps and 4,000 enrollees from 1933 to 1940. They built erosion control structures, roads and trails, and picnic and other recreational facilities including ramadas and lookout shelters. CCC… read more
From the University of Arizona Libraries Digital Collection: “Public Works Administration funds were used to construct the State Capitol Annex Building in 1938 and to hire Jay Datus to paint a series of murals entitled “The Pageant of Arizona Progress.”… read more
Numerous large-scale street improvement and paving projects were undertaken in Tucson, Arizona during the Great Depression with the assistance of federal Public Work Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA supplied outright grants of more than $665,000 (not adjusted for inflation) for… read more