The Works Progress Administration made improvements to the road system in Dallas County. “Improve county-owned road from Orrville to the Wilcox County line in Dallas County, including excavating; clearing and grubbing; grading; draining; dressing shoulders and slopes; constructing base; surfacing;… read more
The Works Progress Administration built facilities for the Alabama Boys Industrial School in Roebuck, a neighborhood of Birmingham, Jefferson County. The facilities included a dining hall and a heating plant. The present condition of the structure is unknown to the… read more
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built dormitories for the Alabama Polytechnic Institute (Auburn University).
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built an Outdoor Amphitheater for the Alabama Polytechnic Institute (Auburn University). The amphitheater was built for the Agricultural Training camp. Granite cobblestones retrieved after the WPA paved the streets of Montgomery were used for the… read more
The Works Progress Administration built a swimming pool for the former State Training School for Girls in Chalkville, Alabama, near Birmingham.
The Works Progress Administration built a total of five buildings for the State Training School for Girls in Chalkville, near Birmingham. The facilities included an administration building, hospital, clinic, and a swimming pool. The estimated federal cost was $179,072.00. The… read more
The Works Progress Administration built seven miles of sidewalks throughout the City of Atmore. This work was part of a WPA city-wide, sidewalk construction program. Pictured are WPA workers carrying out sidewalk construction work on U.S. Highway 31. The approximate… read more
Construction of the historic Bama Theatre in Tuscaloosa, Alabama was enabled by the provision of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds during the 1930s. The building was constructed as a combination “theatre/municipal auditorium” and “city hall, all under one roof.”… read more
The Public Works Administration funded the construction of the Bankhead Lock and Dam (Lock 17) on the Black Warrior River in the vicinity of Birmingham. “Dam no. 17 on the Warrior River has improved the navigability of the river. This dam is… read more
The Works Progress Administration built a new National Guard Armory in Birmingham. According to BHAM Wiki: “The Graymont Armory was an Alabama National Guard armory located at 210 Graymont Avenue in McLendon Park near Legion Field in Birmingham’s Graymont neighborhood.”… read more
Established in 1931, the airport now known as Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport was the site of substantial work relief efforts on the part of multiple New Deal agencies: the Civil Works Administration (CWA) and Works Progress Administration (WPA). A 1931 documents… read more
“The Black Belt Substation, now expanded to become the Black Belt Research and Extension Center, was established in 1929 as one of the original “substations” of the Main Agricultural Experiment Station at Auburn University. Most of the research projects conducted… read more
Rural bridge and box culvert constructed in 1938 as part of the WPA “farm to market” road improvement initiative.
The Works Progress Administration built the Brewton Alabama Country Club and facilities for an adjacent airport on Highway 31 in Brewton. Next to the country club, the WPA built a nine-hole golf course, a landing field, 5000 linear feet of runway, and… read more
The Works Progress Administration built the Brewton Courthouse Annex in Brewton, Escambia County. The new annex provided additional space for ten county offices—the Department of Public Welfare, the county Education Department, the Home Demonstration and County Agricultural Agent, the County… read more
“Cahaba Homestead Village (usually Cahaba Village, listed as the Cahaba Homestead Village Historic District). is a planned residential development located on the banks of the Cahaba River north of downtown Trussville (map). It was constructed between 1936 and 1938 by… read more
Originally known as Slagheap, “Cahaba Homestead Village (usually Cahaba Village, listed as the Cahaba Homestead Village Historic District), is a planned residential development located on the banks of the Cahaba River north of downtown Trussville (map). It was constructed between… read more
The Public Works Administration funded the construction of the Carver High School in Carbon Hill. The workers built several structures, such as the main school buildings, the Home Economics Building, and the vocational agriculture for the boys. The new facilities allowed… read more
The historic Cherokee County Courthouse in Centre, Alabama was constructed with the assistance of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA provided a $30,897 grant for the project, whose total cost was $69,082. Construction occurred between February and September… read more
“Chewacla State Park is a 696-acre (2.82 km2) state park in Auburn, Alabama. It is located just south of Interstate 85 in Lee County, Alabama… The park has six renovated Civilian Conservation Corps-era stone cabins featuring hardwood floors, stone fireplaces, bathrooms,Tvs,… read more