1 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 79
  • Water Mains: East Oakland - Oakland CA
    In 1936, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) assisted the East Bay Municipal Utility District (EBMUD) in laying a 36" diameter water main from 25th Avenue and East 20th St in Oakland to Estudillo Boulevard in San Leandro.   Running more than five miles, the water pipeline replaced infrastructure that had been put in place almost fifty years earlier.  
  • University of Wisconsin: Watrous Murals (lost) - Madison WI
    James Watrous painted a tempera-on-gesso mural cycle consisting of nine 6' tall panels, called "The Story of Paul Bunyan,"  in the UW Memorial Student Union. The works were painted in 1935 with funds provided by the federal government, and given the date the murals were probably commissioned by the Federal Arts Project (FAP) of the Works Progress Administration.  That needs to be confirmed. The murals used to hang in the Paul Bunyan Room, but have disappeared. 
  • Street Improvements - Prescott AZ
    Many street improvements were made in Prescott, Arizona during the Great Depression under a project funded by the federal Public Work Administration (PWA). It is difficult today to appreciate the importance of this kind of generic public works in a day when many city streets were still dirt or gravel. It is usually impossible to pinpoint the streets that were improved (leveling, widening, paving, gutters, storm sewers, etc.) without going into the archives of the local public works department, and most streets have been redone more than once over the last 75 years.  
  • Pullen Park Pool and Bathhouse - Raleigh NC
    A swimming pool and bathhouse at Pullen Park in Raleigh, North Carolina were constructed as part of a federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) project during the Great Depression. (ncsu.edu) The current status of the facility is unknown to Living New Deal.
  • Public Utilities - Middletown DE
    Sanitary sewer, municipal waterworks, and power grid construction projects were all undertaken in Middletown, Delaware during the Great Depression, enabled by federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. Work began in 1937. (PWA Docket No. DE W1021, X1031)
  • Sanitary Sewers - Dover DE
    A sanitary sewer construction project was undertaken in Dover, Delaware during the Great Depression with the assistance of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. (PWA Docket No. DE W1023)
  • Pacific Coast Highway - Mussel Shoal CA
    In 1935, the federal government dedicated $240,000 to the grading and paving of 3.6 miles of the old Pacific Coast Highway (now US 101) from Mussel Shoals in Ventura County to the Santa Barbara County line. The funds were probably channeled through the Bureau of Public Roads, but might also have come from the Public Works Administration (PWA).
  • Thomas Jefferson High School Mural - Los Angeles CA
    In 1937, Ross Dickinson painted "History of the Recorded Word" in the Thomas Jefferson High School library (Los Angeles, CA) with Works Progress Administration (WPA) Federal Arts Project funding. The mural is comprised of four panels, each 10' by 5.5'. The panels depict the history of printing, with subjects including hieroglyphs, manuscripts, and modern printing. After six months of research, Dickinson painted the mural in five weeks. According to the Los Angeles Sentinel (one of the most influential African-American newspapers in the Western United States), "Dickinson was employed as an art teacher at the Art Center School of Los Angeles and needed...
  • Grand Avenue Improvements - Santa Ana CA
    In 1935, one mile of Glassell Street in Santa Ana, California, was graded and paved between Seventeenth Street and Fairhaven Avenue using a federal grant of $50,000. The name of this section of the road is now called North Grand Avenue. The funds surely came through the Bureau of Public Roads to the California State Highway Department, which passed it on to the City of Santa Ana.  (This needs to be confirmed). This would have been part of a larger annual grant to the state for road building. Almost certainly this stretch of road has been repaved and improved since the New...
  • Douglass St. Pumping Station (former) Improvements - Brooklyn NY
    The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) undertook a sizable public building improvement project in Brooklyn, New York beginning in 1935.  The project involved the "Improvement of Public Buildings and Offices" at more than 30 locations, including the water pumping station at "Pt. of Douglass St.", believed by Living New Deal to be located at the end of Douglass St. at the Gowanus Canal. A municipal site presently located at this spot is called 'Gowanus Facilities.'
1 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 79