The New Deal’s Civil Works Administration (CWA) employed 40 men “in making improvements” at what was then known as the Fort Hays Branch of the Kansas Agricultural Experiment Station (now Agricultural Research Center).
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) created a site within the Tulsa Fairgrounds called the Tulsa Fairgrounds Cafeteria, which was finished during 1938. Currently, the cafeteria still remains standing. It has expanded many times since it was first built. Geographically, the… read more
The Painted Desert Inn was created by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), working under the National Park Service (NPS), with a grant from the Public Works Administration (PWA). They completely rebuilt a private inn called the Stone Tree House, which… read more
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) conducted extensive development work at Grand Canyon Village, 1933-37. The National Park Service CCC Walking Tour notes that: “While the CCC crews were refurbishing the rock wall [along Rim Trail, in 1935], they also constructed… read more
A high school construction project in Leming, Texas was undertaken during the Great Depression with the assistance of Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA supplied a $25,200 grant for the project, whose total cost was $56,622. Construction began in… read more