1 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 79
  • Arizona State University: Cafeteria - Tempe AZ
    The Public Works Administration (PWA) funded the construction a cafeteria building at the Arizona State Teachers College in Tempe (today the Arizona State University). The exact location of the cafeteria and its fate are unknown to the Living New Deal. It has probably been demolished.
  • Arizona State University Development - Tempe AZ
    The Public Works Administration (PWA) funded the construction of several new facilities at the Arizona State Teachers College in Tempe – today's Arizona State University. The New Deal improved many college campuses, including the University of Arizona in Tucson and Phoenix College.  Teachers' Colleges were often targetted. The building shown here is probably the back of West Hall, now covered by other buildings and the reception is surely in the lounge of West Hall. Known buildings have their own project pages.  Matthews Hall appears to be New Deal, but it is not certain.  More information regarding the location and status of all New Deal...
  • Arizona State University: Golf Course - Tempe AZ
    There is a record card in the National Archives saying that the Public Works Administration (PWA) funded construction of a golf course at the Arizona State Teachers College in Tempe (now the Arizona State University).  It is unclear what kind of golf course is meant and where it was located, and the picture shows students putting behind a campus building – not a golf course at all.  There was a true golf course built northeast of the ASU campus, but apparently much later.  Further information is needed to verify the history of this golf course.
  • Naco School - Naco AZ
    The Works Progress Administration built a high school serving Naco, Cochise County. The Naco School is still in service, but the exact location and condition of this structure is unknown to the Living New Deal.
  • OK Street Paving - Bisbee AZ
    The Works Progress Administration carried out street paving in Bisbee. Pictured is a finished section of Okay Street in Bisbee. The street is incorrectly referred to as “Okay Street” while the name today is “OK” Street. Historically it was never written out. Early records of Bisbee show businesses and home owners utilizing “O.K.” Street. A search of “OK Street” through the digitized newspapers of Chronicling America on March 4, 2018, produced 34 results; a search of “Okay Street” utilized no results in the Bisbee Daily Review. The Bisbee Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places in July...
  • Municipal Swimming Pool - Tucson AZ
    The Works Progress Administration built the Municipal Swimming Pool in Tucson. The exact location and condition of this facility is unknown to the Living New Deal. Additional contributor note, August 2018: The Tucson Municipal Pool is likely the same facility as the pool located at Himmel Park. The park was built roughly the same year as the pool. The WPA worked on other projects in the part of town where the pool is located. Many of the sidewalks in the vicinity of the pool bear the WPA stamp with 1930s dates.
  • University of Arizona Entrance Gate - Tucson AZ
    The Works Progress Administration built the entrance gate to the University of Arizona, Tucson campus, circa 1937.
  • Lynwood and 15th Street Sidewalks - Phoenix AZ
    The Works Progress Administration built sidewalks on Lynwood and 15th Street in the west side of Phoenix, circa 1937.
  • Miller Valley Elementary School Grounds (former) - Prescott AZ
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) carried out improvements to the grounds at the Miller Valley Elementary School in Prescott AZ in 1936-1937.  From the WPA project card in the National Archives, it appears that these included a stone entrance to the school grounds. The school was closed in the 2010s, but the old WPA stone walls have survived at the corner of W. Iron Springs and Miller Valley Roads.
  • Pumphouse and Reservoir - Bisbee AZ
    In 1936 the Works Progress Administration built the Pumphouse in Bisbee, Arizona. A dam was built above the Pumphouse to hold water which fed underneath the Pumphouse and supplied the city’s fire hydrants. The Bisbee Daily Review, October 2, 1935, reported the city engineer, Ralph Motz, and the CCC engineer, Frank Brunel, “spent yesterday morning looking over the site of a dam to be constructed in wood canyon for flood control and to prevent erosion. ..Water impounded during rainy seasons will be pumped into the city reservoir and stored for use of the fire department.” The pumphouse bears a distinctive oval WPA...
1 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 79