1 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 79
  • School Administration Building Addition - Oakland MS
    The Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works built a School Administration Building Addition in Oakland MS. The addition to the Oakland 1909 school was project 1317, approved 8/12/1938 for a grant of $19,018. Architect was N. W. Overstreet and A. H. Town. The first contract was awarded 11/4/1938 and construction started 12/21/1938. It was completed 9/9/1939 for a total cost of $39,807.
  • Albemarle Street NW Improvements - Washington DC
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) made improvements to a segment of Albemarle Street NW, between Reno Road and Thirty-Eighth Street, in 1938-39.    The WPA graded the road and prepared it for paving with a foundation of salvaged material: “The old material is obtained from old roadways which have deteriorated due to the strain of heavy later-day traffic and were replaced by new standard type pavements.”   “The improvement of this roadway opened up traffic eastward to the new boulevard at Forty-sixth Street NW, between Massachusetts Avenue and River Road, and also served as an entrance to the new private developments in this vicinity.”   This...
  • Mariposa Creek Improvements - Le Grand CA
    "WPA WORKERS TO CLEAR CREEK IN FLOOD CONTROL Eighty-five W.P.A. workers began today clearing a four-mile section of Mariposa Creek bottom, near Le Grand, of debris and brush."
  • Dormitory Improvements - Hattiesburg MS
    The Demonstration School was re-roofed by Gordon Van-Tine Company, and three dormitories were repaired and improved through PWA funds at Mississippi State Teachers College. Oden and Glenn were contractors, making general repairs and installing new toilets and bathroom facilities. Rear porches were screened, tile floors and marble bathroom walls were added to each of the six bath compartments in each of the two bathrooms per floor. The projects were funded for a total of $78,000.
  • Other Park Infrastructure - Death Valley National Park CA
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was present in Death Valley National Monument  from 1933 to 1942.  The main CCC camp was at Cow Creek, just north of the park headquarters and visitors center at Furnace Creek.  CCC 'boys' built the basic infrastructure of the new monument, such as grading roads, erecting buildings for park staff and operations, and building campgrounds – activities so large that they are treated on separate pages.  In addition, the CCC worked to develop wells and springs, install water pipes, and string electric and telephone lines to make the park habitable.  Other improvements were an airplane landing strip and...
  • School Gymnasium and Auditorium - Frederick CO
    The Works Progress Administration built a school gymnasium and auditorium in Frederick, Colorado. The structure was built of concrete. The facade concrete panels are finished with inlaid ornamentation. The exact location and status of this project is presently unknown to Living New Deal.
  • School Mural (Missing) - Cape Elizabeth ME
    A 1940 WPA report on the activities of Professional and Service Projects in Maine mentioned the completion of a mural for the former Cape Elizabeth High School. Dorothy Higgins of the Cape Elizabeth Historical Preservation Society Cape happened to locate a picture of it in the 1941 High School year book. "The high school has been remodeled several times and no one at the Cape Elizabeth Historical Preservation Society knows what happened to this mural." It depicts a map of the town flanked by small illustrations of historical buildings.
  • Sewer System - Atlanta GA
    Numerous New Deal agencies contributed to the development of metropolitan Atlanta's sewer system during the Great Depression. Atlanta initially applied for PWA funding in July 1933, but lack of local contribution caused the city government to withdraw the application and shift it to CWA in December 1933. CWA approved funds to modernize the metropolitan area sewer system, contingent on matching funds from city and county. in March 1934, FERA began work on new sewer lines, and in 1935, the project transferred to the WPA after the passing of a bond issue. Employment was estimated at 5,000 to 6,000 men. In 1936,...
  • River Street Ramp Retaining Wall - Bethlehem PA
    CWA retaining wall project at the River Street ramp of the Hill-to-Hill Bridge was approved in 1933 and construction began in January 1934. In addition to the retaining wall, the roadway was rebuilt "to provide proper drainage" (Projects, 1935, p. 18). Northampton County experienced delays in a number of CWA projects approved in 1933, and the Hill-to-Hill Bridge work was one of the two (other was City Hall project in Easton) that were priority resumptions when others were delayed. River Street is located on Sands Island.
  • County Finance Building Improvements - Martinez CA
    The Works progress Administration (WPA) installed a new vault and made other  improvements to the Contra Costa County Finance Building in 1935-36, and perhaps later. According to WPA Project Cards from the National Archives, the vault was to be built of reinforced concrete and lined with steel and additional work was to be done to partition off additional space for the Treasurer's office.  The total amount allocated for the project was around $5,000. We know that improvement work was done because of reports in the Contra Costa Gazette.  One notes that additional painting was done on the county assessor and school administration...
1 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 79