1 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 79
  • Commercial Pier No. 5 (former) - Washington DC
    Commercial Pier No. 5 was part of a large-scale New Deal redevelopment program for the Washington Channel and Southwest Waterfront area. Construction of the pier began in 1940, by the Penker Construction Company of Cincinnati, Ohio, and was completed in 1941. The Army Corps of Engineers supervised the project and the total cost was about $270,000 (about $5 million in 2020 dollars). About 3,000 cypress and pine logs from Virginia were used to create the pier. Commercial Pier No. 5 permitted a greater exchange of goods in the nation’s capital, and was the result of “many years of agitation” from the business...
  • Recorder of Deeds Building: Portraits - Washington DC
    In 1936, three WPA artists—Henry Wadsworth Moore, Velma Buckner, and Alan Flavelle—painted portraits of 11 former Washington, DC Recorders of Deeds, for placement in the Recorders’ office space at 412 D Street NW.  When the new Recorder of Deeds Building was constructed in 1941-1943, at 515 D Street NW (and funded by the New Deal’s Public Works Administration), the portraits were moved there. The current location(s) of these portraits is unknown to the Living New Deal, but they could still be in the 515 D Street NW building (the building has been closed to the public for many years, after the...
  • Phillips Playground Improvements - Washington DC
    The Federal Emergency Relief Administration funded improvements at the Phillips Playground in Washington DC, between 1934 and 1935. The work consisted of the following improvements: “Graded ground, removing 200 cubic yards dirt; fencing (700 feet, 8-foot); 4 gates.”
  • Gallinger Playground Improvements - Washington DC
    The Federal Emergency Relief Administration and the Civil Works Administration completed improvements at the Gallinger Playground in Washington DC, between 1933 and 1934. The work consisted of the following improvements: “New shelter(s) built."
  • Bloomingdale Playground Improvements - Washington DC
    The Federal Emergency Relief Administration and the Civil Works Administration completed improvements at the Bloomingdale Playground in Washington DC, between 1933 and 1934. The work consisted of the following improvements: “Graded, completed drainage and water service system; fencing and 3-story recreation building 25 percent complete.”
  • Volta Park Recreation Center - Washington DC
    The Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA), the Works Progress Administration (WPA), and the Civil Works Administration (CWA) completed improvements at the Georgetown Playground in Washington DC. Today, the playground is part of the Volta Park Recreation Center. The work consisted of the following improvements: “Graded, topsoil, fenced, 6 gates, remodeled interior of shelter house, new plumbing, wired for electric lights.” (Report of the Government of the District of Columbia 1935) FERA, 1934-1935, “Surfaced two tennis courts.” (Report of the Government of the District of Columbia 1936) WPA, 1935-1936, “2 tennis courts surfaced with clay.” (Report of the Government of the District of Columbia 1936) WPA, 1936-1937, “Constructed pool...
  • Burroughs Playground Improvements - Washington DC
    The Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) completed improvements at theBurroughs Playground in Washington DC, between 1934 and 1935. The work consisted of the following improvements: “Resurfaced two tennis courts.” The playground is on the school grounds of the John Burroughs Elementary School and is used as a school grounds and community playground.
  • Industrial Home School for White Children - Washington DC
    The Civil Works Administration funded improvements at the Industrial Home School for White Children, between 1933-1934. The structure appears to be today’s Guy Manson Recreation Center, but very little remains (see here and here). “It can be reported that during the year much very important work was accomplished by the Civil Works Administration. The roadway from Wisconsin Avenue around the buildings was completed; the large porches were repaired and painted; two large store rooms were constructed and a considerable area of the ground graded and converted into gardens with provision for irrigation. Anew tennis court has almost been finished, and suitable fences...
  • New Jersey Avenue Sewage Pumping Station - Washington DC
    The Public Works Administration completed improvements at the New Jersey Avenue Sewage Pumping Station between 1939 and 1940. The work consisted of “electrical installation."
  • Seventh and H Streets SW Playground Improvements - Washington DC
    The Works Progress Administration funded improvements at the Seventh and H Streets SW Playground in Washington DC between 1935 and 1936. The crews graded 1,000 cubic yards.
1 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 79