1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 46
  • Brown's Prairie School - Washington TX
    In 1888, a church and school building was erected in a central location at newly-divided Brown's Prairie, with the Reverend David Buchmueller as pastor and teacher. By 1911, a new wooden six-room school building was used each Sunday, with one teacher for six grades. In 1939, the wooden school was replaced using WPA funds, constructed by architect Travis Broesche and stone mason Carl Whitmarsh. In the 1940s, the Brown's Prairie School was referred to as Washington School, and after the 1950-51 school year, all students were transferred to Brenham after its annexation into the district.
  • Bryan Hall (I.U.) - Bloomington IN
    The William Lowe Bryan Administration Building at Indiana University was originally completed in 1936 with PWA funding. At the time it was simply named the Administration Building. It was renamed in 1957 after William Lowe Bryan. It is located at 107 S. Indiana Avenue, and is largely used for administrative offices, including the President of the University. It was designed by the firm of Granger & Bollenbacher.
  • Buescher State Park - Smithville TX
    Buescher State Park is connected to Bastrop State Park via a scenic 11-mile drive. This CCC project opened to the public in 1940. Mr. Emil and Mrs. Elizabeth Buescher donated the original land to the state between 1933 and 1936. Buescher was spared from the September 2011 fire that swept through Bastrop County. The park has a beautiful lake with fishing, camping, and hiking trails. A plaque in front of the Recreation Hall states: CCC Companies 1805 and 1811 worked on Buescher between 1933 and 1939. Recruits enrolled for a six month period and received base pay of $30 month. Between...
  • Bukolt Park - Stevens Point WI
    Bukolt Park was originally known as Water Works Park: "As with Iverson and Goerke Parks, Water Works Park got its big push during the recovery period of the 1930s when WPA construction was at its peak. Major improvements included landscaping, parkways, fireplaces, beautification of the lagoon including bridges and in 1935 and 1936 construction of the bathhouse, beach area, ramps and a diving tower. A large lodge built in the park was completed in 1940. On May 5, 1936, the council renamed the park the John J. Bukolt Park in honor of the founder of the Automatic Cradle Manufacturing Company, now Lullabye Furniture...
  • Bunch-Walton Post 22 American Legion Hut - Clarksville AR
    "The Lee Bunch Post #22 was formed in Clarksville in February 1919 when fifteen veterans applied to form a Johnson County post. It was named for Bunch, a resident of Batson who was the first Johnson Countian to die in World War I. The group initially met in local homes, churches and clubs, but in February 1932 the Civic Club sold the post for one dollar an island between the main stream and west fork of Spadra Creek near downtown Clarksville. In 1934, the Civil Works Administration, which helped build Legion huts across the state, approved Project No. 36- 34 T...
  • Burnet Woods: Trailside Nature Museum - Cincinnati OH
    "Trailside Nature Museum: This fieldstone building was completed in 1939, a combined project between the PWA and the CCC and designed by Freund. It reflects the influence of Frank Lloyd Wright with its horizontal design and rustic stone work. All external corners are rounded, as is the central chimney." It is one of the approximately 67 structures (about half of the existing 135 in the Cincinnati Parks system) made by New Deal workers.
  • Burr's Ferry Bridge - Leesville LA
    The Burr's Ferry Bridge is built over the Sabine River where Texas State Highway 63 and Louisiana State Highway 8 meet. The bridge consists of three Parker though truss spans and 34 concrete girder spans. At the time the bridge project was under consideration, the road was an "improved dirt road," reportedly impassable much of the year with a toll ferry across the Sabine River. Congress passed the Emergency Relief Appropriation Act on April 8, 1935. This act gave Texas and Louisiana grant money for road and bridge construction. Projects funded under this act were subject to special labor provisions. Among...
  • Burton High School - Burton TX
    The state historical marker at the site reads: "Burton Public Schools opened in 1874, and by 1926 nine grades were offered. In 1938, construction on Burton’s first high school began. Funded through the federal Works Progress Administration (WPA), the building was completed in 1940. Designed by architect Travis Broesche and built by local contractor Will Weeren, the school exhibits international and rustic architectural style. Features include abutting two-story rectangular blocks, a curved wall near the entrance, and a native field stone veneer."
  • Business U.S. Highway 79 Underpass - Taylor TX
    The Texas Highway Department and the United States Bureau of Public Roads built an underpass in 1939 to separate the grade of U.S. Route 79 and the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railroad (currently Business U.S. Highway 79 and Union Pacific Railroad) in Taylor, Texas. The Texas Highway Department designed the bridge and L. H. Lacy Company constructed it.
  • Byron White U.S. Courthouse Sculptures - Denver CO
    Gladys Caldwell Fisher completed these two Indiana limestone sculptures, entitled "Rocky Mountain Sheep" and "White Ram," in 1936 with funds provided by the Treasury Relief Art Project. They are viewable on both sides of the entrance to the Byron White US Courthouse, which was originally the U.S. Post Office Building.  
  • Cabby O’Neill Gymnasium - Jasper IN
    The facility served as Jasper (Indiana) High School Gym, 1939-1977 and Jasper Middle School gymnasium until 2009. It was named for the coach of the 1949 Jasper High School State Championship basketball team in 1984. It is still owned by the school corporation after the middle school moved, the building is now used for community activities. The facility hosted the high school teams in 2010 and 2011 after the roof of the 1977 gym collapsed.
  • Cabildo (Louisiana State Museum) Renovation - New Orleans LA
     The Cabildo has a long and notorious history. It was constructed in 1795-99 as the seat of the Spanish municipal government in New Orleans. The name of the governing body who met there was the "Illustrious Cabildo" or city council. It was site of the Louisiana Purchase Transfer in 1803.  The building later served as the home of the Louisiana Supreme Court and was where  the nationally significant Slaughterhouse and Plessey vs. Ferguson cases were heard before they went up to the U.S. Supreme Court. The Cabildo became the home of the Louisiana State Museum in 1911 and remains the flagship of that institution.
  • Cabin Lake Guard Station - Bend OR
    Forty miles southeast of Bend, Oregon, the Cabin Lake Guard Station served as a district ranger station and headquarters for the Fort Rock Ranger District of the Deschutes National Forest from 1921 through 1945. Members of a Civilian Conservation Corps camp, located adjacent to the ranger station from 1934 to 1938, contributed to the area’s development for recreational use as well as improved its function for the Forest Service. The CCC camp members built seven buildings for the ranger station, including the existing guard station building.  Six of these structures (ranger residences, a warehouse, maintenance shop, and a gas station) remain...
  • Cade Building - Burkeville TX
    Text from the state historical marker reads: "To create jobs and bring county services nearer to residents of this area, Newton County officials provided materials and the U.S. Work Projects Administration (WPA) the funds to pay laborers to construct this building in 1940-41. Named for Harriet Trotti Cade who donated land for the project, it served as a sub-courthouse and Town Hall. The Cade building and rock wall were built with hand-shaped native sandstone and lumber milled in nearby Wiergate. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1993"
  • Cafeteria (former) - Hickory Flat MS
    The National Youth Administration constructed the rock cafeteria for the Hickory Flat school in 1939. The original building featured a double-door entrance in the center and single door entrance/exits on either side of the center doors. The doors were wooden, with 9-pane lights in the upper half of the door. Windows and doors have been altered. The building remains in use by the Hickory Flat school system.
  • Cahuenga Pass Freeway - Los Angeles CA
    This project involved two separate roads, 48 feet wide (four lanes each way) with Pacific Electric Tracks in the center. It included the Pilgrimage Bridge (Vine St) and adjacent frontage roads, Barham Blvd overcrossing and Barham offramps.
  • Caldecott Tunnel - Oakland CA
    The original Caldecott Tunnel was built with the aid of the Public Works Administration (PWA). Out of a total cost of $4 million, the PWA provided $1.1 million, the state $700,000 and the highway district sold $2.3 million in bonds, which were repaid from gas tax revenues (Oakland Tribune 1937).  Plans for the tunnel had long been in the works, as automobiles began to replace trolleys after World War I. A Joint Highway District was created in 1929 to undertake the project and money was sought from the federal government from the outset of the New Deal (Tribune 1933).  Once PWA...
  • Caldecott Tunnel Approach Roads - Oakland CA
    The original two-bore Caldecott Tunnel was built with the aid of the Public Works Administration (PWA). Out of a total cost of $4 million, the PWA provided $1.1 million, the state $700,000 and the highway district $2.3 million in bonds, which were repaid from gas tax revenues (Oakland Tribune 1937).  Plans for the tunnel had long been in the works as automobiles began to replace trolleys after World War I.  A Joint Highway District was created in 1929 to undertake the project and money was sought from the federal government from the outset of the New Deal.  Once PWA funding was...
  • Caldwell Community Building - Caldwell KS
    A sign on the community building in Caldwell, Kansas identifies it as a Works Progress Administration (WPA) project.
  • Caldwell Parish Courthouse - Columbia LA
    This parish courthouse was undertaken during the Great Depression with the assistance of funds provided by the Public Works Administration (PWA). The two story jail courthouse, "...modern structure to be constructed of concrete, brick, and hollow tile, with stone trimmings" (1937, p. 10) was completed in 1937.
  • Calhoun County Courthouse - Grantsville WV
    The Works Progress Administration built this courthouse in Grantsville between 1941 and 1942. The building is stone construction with an entrance marked by a portico and a taller central portion. The massing of the rear facade is minimized by a gable roof and the facade is built of similar stone work. Of an interesting side note, Grantsville is named for General and President US Grant who is a distant cousin of FDR with the common ancestor of Philip Delano of 17th century Massachusetts.
  • Callahan County Hospital - Baird TX
    The Callahan County Hospital was built by the WPA in 1938-1939 in an Art Deco/Art Moderne style to serve the rural population of Callahan County, Texas. The hospital operated at least through the 1960s, as late as 1966. The building is currently used by the Texas Department of Human Services.
  • Cameron High School - Nashville TN
    The Public Works Administration (PWA) provide funding for the construction of Cameron Middle School in South Nashville, an historically African American school in what was then a fully segregated city.  It was one of many PWA grants for Black schools and colleges around the country, including Pearl High School and Tennessee A & I College in Nashville.  Cameron later became a high school. "Located at 1034 First Avenue South, the school was constructed with PWA funding support in 1939-40 and is important for its local significance in African-American social history. Cameron played a central community role for South Nashville’s African-American population....
  • Camp Greenbrier - Hines WV
    Located on CCC Road, the Civilian Conservation Corps Camp Greenbrier was set up on private land in Hines, Greenbrier County, West Virginia. Camp Greenbrier was under W.V. Division of Forestry and occupied by Company 1539, 6/23/1933 - 8/30/1935 and Company 2593, 7/1/1935 - 1/11/1936.
  • Camp Mercer - Mercer WI
    Camp Mercer is a historical site/trail and serves as a piece of Wisconsin history by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). Camp Mercer still exists in its current location and is primarily known for its trail that many can walk through and learn about the history of the area. Camp Mercer was built in 1933 by the CCC and became the headquarters of the northern woods of Wisconsin. The role of this camp was to station young men before dispatching them to neighboring locations. These men were noted in the newspaper written at the time, The Mercer Monitor, where they would...
  • Camp Preston Hunt - Texarkana AR
    Camp Preston Hunt is a Boy Scout Camp originally built on 200 acres of donated land in Texarkana, Arkansas. The Works Progress Administration (WPA) cleared the land and built cabins, a dining hall and a picnic shelter. The WPA employed over 1000 workers who were paid fifty cents a day. A plaque on the grounds identifies the camp as WPA Project 2355.
  • Camp S-59-Md (Demolished) – Oakland MD  
    Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Camp S-59-Md was located in what is known today as Swallow Falls State Park, Oakland, Maryland.  It was the home of CCC Company 304. The work of Company 304 included road construction and firefighting.  From the park’s main parking lot, three CCC-built structures can be seen today – the park office, pavilion, and stone restroom. At nearby Herrington Manor State Park, the men of Company 304 built a dam & lake, cabins, bathhouse and more. These structures are still in use. The enrollees of Company 304 produced the camp newspaper Youghiogheny Digest (pronounced yaa-kuh-gay-nee). Numerous editions of it can be found at...
  • Canadian Middle School - Canadian TX
    Canadian Middle School was built in 1939 with funds from the Public Works Administration (PWA).The P.W.A. provided a $79,546 grant for the project, whose total cost was $153,323. It was designed by Voelcker and Dixon in a Spanish Gothic style and first served as the junior and senior high school from 1940 - 1976. PWA Docket No. TX 1153.
  • Canal Street Station Post Office - New York NY
    The Canal Street Station post office in downtown Manhattan was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds in 1937. It was designed by architect Alan Balch Mills.  The  two story building in the Moderne Style is clad in terra cotta panels,  with a black base, buff walls and a silvery frieze along the top.  A Treasury Section of Fine Arts-funded sculpture was installed in the post office lobby in 1938. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1989.
  • Canfield Fairgrounds Development - Canfield OH
    According to an article in the Youngstown Vindicator, the Works Progress Administration expanded the grandstand at the Canfield Fairgrounds in 1936. A historical marker on the fairgrounds credits the "Works Progress Alliance" (presumably a typographical error) with the construction of the grandstand, as well as offices and roads on the site, and "WPA 1936" is etched above the main entrance to the grandstand. The fairgrounds and grandstand are still in use.
  • Canoga Park High School: Melcher Painting - Canoga Park CA
    In 1939, artist George Henry Melcher completed an oil on canvas painting titled "Across the Lagoon, Malibu" for Canoga Park High School in Canoga Park, CA. Located in the school's Board Room, the painting depicts an ocean lagoon, with small green islets scattered in the bay. It is framed in a wood frame measuring 36-1/2 x 30-1/4 inches. A label on the back reads: "Federal Art Project, FAP #8864, 'Across the Lagoon, Malibu', Artist: Geo. H. Melcher, BCVD 8/14/39 24 x 30".
  • Canonsburg Town Park Swimming Pool - Canonsburg PA
    Multiple New Deal agencies worked to construct a municipal pool for Canonsburg, Pennsylvania in 1934—1936. The prospect of a pool had been discussed for years, though no progress was made until assistance from New Deal work relief programs was made available. The pool facility was constructed in stages on what had then been a ravine, in the municipal park. Initial construction, which involved the Civil Works Administration (CWA), would be limited to leveling the site, installing storm sewers to "enclose" the ravine, and constructing the 100-foot-by-200-foot pool and filtration plant—not the bathhouse or sidewalks. Work was to be done "by hand...
  • Cape Lookout State Park - Tillamook OR
    Acquired for state park use in 1935, the State Park plans for this beautiful stretch of coastline in Tillamook County initially focused on its use as an undeveloped, natural preserve. Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) enrollees built the first major improvement, a 5.2-mile trail to the end of the cape in 1939-1940. They also created a minimal picnic area at Jackson Creek. To provide road access to the park, Works Progress Administration (WPA) workers were employed in the early 1940s. Progress on improvement of the primitive road was halted by lack of funds. Work on road access resumed in the early 1950s.
  • Cape Perpetua Scenic Area - Yachats OR
    After the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) established a camp in 1933 at the foot of Cape Perpetua, the young men began to develop the area currently known as the Cape Perpetua Scenic Area for public recreational use.  Their projects included a campground, a network of trails, the West Shelter observation point near the top of the cape, and a roadway to that elevation. Located in the Siuslaw National Forest, Cape Perpetua was among the first areas identified in Oregon for CCC work. In addition to the usual reforestation and conservation assignments associated with US Forest Service land, recreational development became a...
  • Capital City County Club Golf Course Expansion - Tallahassee FL
    The Capital City County Club Golf Course was originally a 9-hole golf course developed by George Perkins. In 1924, the newly-incorporated Tallahassee Country Club purchased the golf course from Perkins. In 1935, the Tallahassee Country Club donated the land to the City of Tallahassee. That same year the city received a $35,000 Works Progress Administration grant to expand the golf course to 18 holes. The city engaged noted golf course architect Albert W. Tillinghast to inspect and comment on the plans, which also included renovating the existing 9 holes. Construction began in 1936 and was completed in 1938. In 1956,...
  • Capitol Hill High School Stadium - Oklahoma City OK
    "The native sandstone wall around the football field is a WPA project. Capitol Hill High School is located at 500 S.W. 36th Street. Built in 1928, it is still in use today. On the west side of the school, the C.B. Speegle Stadium is home to the Capitol Hill Redskins. Surrounding the field is an approximately 8 ft. high wall made of the traditional Oklahoma sandstone seen in the greatest number of WPA projects in the State. At the east end of the football field, the sandstone wall attaches to a 10 ft. high white stone ticket booth area. This wall has a...
  • Capitol School (former) - Guthrie OK
    "Originally built in 1935 as Capitol School at 802 E. Vilas, this building is currently home to the Board of Education and other Guthrie Public Schools administrative offices. This WPA project is documented on the cornerstone where is indicates that this is WPA project 6-49. This is a one-story tan brick building which faces south. The entrance is slightly recessed with a single glass door, sidelights and transom. The entrance is within a stone surround with the words CAPITOL SCHOOL embossed in stone. Four concrete steps lead to the entrance door."   (waymarking.com)
  • Carlos Avery Game Farm - Forest Lake MN
    In 1936 the WPA developed the area of Carlos Avery Game Farm, now the Carlos Avery Wildlife Management Area, and constructed several buildings on the site. From the National Register of Historic Places nomination: Located within the 23,000 acre Carlos Avery Wildlife Management Area, the district includes eleven buildings, three structures, and one non-contributing building. The buildings at the Game Farm are designed in the Colonial Revival Style. All buildings and structures are considered contributing unless otherwise noted. 1. Entrance Gateway - The entrance to the Carlos Avery Game Farm is defined by an elaborate gateway flanked by stone pylons. Each gate...
  • Carmel Firehouse: Copper Relief - Carmel CA
    The metal relief at the Carmel Firehouse in Carmel CA was funded by the Federal Art Project (FAP). It was installed the year after the completion of the firehouse (1937) and sits above the fireplace on the east wall of the second-story meeting space. This metal relief of an early firetruck was designed by Clay Spohn and executed by Alonzo Chard, similar to another WPA project executed for the Adobe building in Castro Valley, CA. The scene pictured is that of a horse drawn firetruck with a steam pumper. The horses are running to a fire in a 3-story house on the...
  • Carmel Forest Theater - Carmel CA
    Carmel's Forest Theater was established in 1910, when Carmel-by-the-Sea was founded as an artists' colony (and real estate speculation).  Since then, it has been a fixture of the Carmel scene and the life of the city.   The was deeded to the town of Carmel in 1937, which soon applied to the Works Progress Administration (WPA) for help in renovating and improving it. The WPA renovation took place in 1939-40 and included a reinforced concrete floor, new seating, a new stage and dressing rooms underneath, and a new surrounding stone wall and entry stairs. There is a WPA plaque on the...
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 46