Grace Rivet Clements and Helen Lundeberg painted two 18′ by 33′ frescoes for Venice High School (Los Angeles, CA) in 1941: “History of Southern California” and “History of Early California.” Located in the school library, the frescoes were funded by… read more
Second Half of Final Extended Building Phase (1941-1942). Residential housing for employees of the Stewart Indian Boarding School Staff and Civilian Conservation Corp – Indian Division (CCC-ID) was acute by the late 1930s. Off-site rental units in Carson City and… read more
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) “helped to rebuild the flood-damaged Walnut Canyon road” after a major flood in September 1941. This is the “main” road for the park, now known as Carlsbad Cavern Highway.
In 1941, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) built a fire-fighting water supply system, including underground pipes and surface hydrants, for the small, dairy center of Loleta in the Eel River delta area. Although it is usually impossible to verify such… read more
In 1941-42, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) made major improvements to the Municipal Park in Ferndale, today known as the Firemen’s Park. According to the WPA project card, the improvements consisted of building a softball field with bleachers, reconstructing a… read more
The Alley Dwelling Authority (ADA) funded the construction of a community building for the Parkside Dwellings and surrounding area, ca. 1941-1943. It is unknown to the Living New Deal if this building still exists. The ADA was one of the… read more
The Alley Dwelling Authority (ADA) funded the construction of an administration and community building for the Barry Farm Dwellings and surrounding community, ca. 1941-1943. It is unknown to the Living New Deal if this building still exists. The ADA was… read more