The concrete staircase connecting Hoover Avenue and Oakview Drive was built by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in 1939.
Robert F. Gates painted the mural, “Montgomery County Farm Women’s Market,” in 1939 for the Bethesda post office, which was closed in 2012. It shows a woman feeding animals next to women selling produce at the Farm Women’s Market, which… read more
“When Franklin D. Roosevelt took presidential office in 1933, the Great Depression was in its fourth year. He was elected partly because he promised relief for the common man. He enacted the New Deal programs and the Works Progress Administration,… read more
The Pear Lake Winter Hut was originally built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in 1939-41 as a ranger station for Sequoia National Park. It now serves as a ranger station in the summer and as a ski hut for… read more
The Works Progress Administration (1939) built a sidewalk at Auburn and Harwood Avenues in East Oakland. It was one of many sidewalks constructed by the WPA around the city. Date stamps in sidewalks were a common practice in the… read more
This former San Francisco post office, originally known as the Rincon Annex, was built in 1939-40 and served as the major package transfer center through the city’s port – then the largest on the West Coast. The building was paid… read more
A New Deal Fresno brochure lists the swimming pool at Frank H. Ball park as being built by the PWA. The playground also received $42,000 for an NYA project to give youth training in building trades. The recreation building plaque… read more