This oil-on-canvas mural entitled “1848, Fort Kearny, Protectorate on the Overland Trail, 1871” was painted by William E.L. Bunn, 1939. “Minden has the distinction of having perhaps the most ambitious and thoroughly researched of all of the post office murals… read more
Text on a historical marker at the school reads: “In 1880, two years before the City of Gainesville created a public school system for all its children, Island Sparks, a young Mulatto, taught the black children of the city. In… read more
“Constructed with locally available building materials in the traditions of the Rustic Style, the Brenham High School Gymnasium combines a native fieldstone veneer with metal factory-sash and massing reminiscent of the International Style. Ranging from 1 to 3 stories, the… read more
This “garage-type log building” was constructed in 1939 by the 768th company of the Arkansas CCC. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The old Brookhaven Town Hall in Patchogue is located at the northeast corner of South Ocean Ave. & Baker St. According to Sayville’s Suffolk County News in 1939, “The WPA has approved the proposed construction of an extension to the… read more
Buffalo, New York’s Minucipal Auditorium was a $2.7 million New Deal-funded project. Ground was broken on November 30, 1939 and the auditorium opened October 14, 1940. Sources differ with regard to the source of the New Deal funding — an… read more