The Works Progress Administration built the Penelope Rural High School, School Dist. 8. The one-story brick building bearing white cement decorations at the top was completed in 1940. It houses eight classrooms, a gym-auditorium, offices, storerooms, and a locker room.
For two years, the Works Progress Administration (WPA), under the leadership of University of Texas at Austin archaeologists, excavated an area known as the George C. Davis Site (41CE19). The site yielded artifacts from the Caddoan Mississippian culture that existed… read more
The Works Progress Administration built the Horace Mann School in 1939 under project number 665-66-2-48. The brick building had seven rooms and an auditorium when built. Grades 1-12 attended there until around 1949 when grades 9-12 were bussed to Palestine… read more
Between 1939 and 1940, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) worked at the state fish hatchery northeast of Huntsville, Texas as part of project 65-1-66-175. The WPA reworked the ponds to remove sediment, added an 8-inch water supply line and concrete… read more