1 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 116
  • Hyde Mountain Lookout - Prescott National Forest AZ
    The historic Hyde Mountain fire lookout tower was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). NRHP Nomination Form: "This 12 ft by 12 ft wood L-4 lookout house was built probably by a CCC crew in 1936 and is located on the Chino Valley Ranger District. The lookout is accessible only by a two mile trail. This L-4 type of lookout house is the only one of its style on the Prescott National Forest. Despite modification to the windows, the Hyde Mountain lookout retains much of its integrity of original design, construction, materials, workmanship, setting and location and is recommended for...
  • Woody Mountain Lookout - Coconino National Forest AZ
    The historic Woody Mountain fire lookout tower was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in 1936.
  • Wheeling Stadium Walls - Wheeling WV
    The Works Progress Administration built walls around Wheeling Stadium in Wheeling, Ohio County. The WPA-built structure replaced the old wall damaged by the 1936 spring flood.
  • Ben Hur Road - Mariposa CA
    Sponsor: County of Mariposa WPA Proj. No. 165-3-1093, December 21, 1936, $7,997. "Widen, drain, and surface road; repair bridge and do other work incidental thereto on Ben Hur Road, Mariposa County, near Mariposa. Not in the Federal Aid Highway System. In addition to projects specifically approved. County owned property." Average Employed 26, months to complete 6, Total Federal and sponsor funds $12,181.
  • Mt. Bullion Elementary School Repairs - Mt. Bullion CA
    This one room schoolhouse in the mining town of Mount Bullion got help from the WPA on "Repair school building & excavate & level playground." WPA Proj. No. 65-3-4639, January 30, 1936, $1,287. The school was built in 1900 and operated until 1950. The building is currently used for storage.
  • National Guard Armory (former) - Batesville AR
    The Works Progress Administration built the National Guard Armory in Batesville in 1936. A 1998 National Register of Historic Places Registration Form describes the formal characteristics of the structure: "The 1936 National Guard Armory in Batesville was constructed in a vernacular Ozark stone style with Gothic Revival influences by local stonemasons hired by the federal government as well as National Guard unit members. The armory was a WPA project designed by Dutch architect Pieter Blaauw and is composed of Batesville sandstone obtained from the Maxfield Quarry on the outskirts of town. Each stone from the local quarry is hand cut. A barreled tarpaper roof...
  • Amarillo College: Ordway Hall - Amarillo TX
    Ordway Hall at Amarillo College was constructed as a New Deal project. Sometimes mis-attributed to the Works Progress Administration (WPA), it was the Public Works Administration (PWA) that provided a $73,116 grant for the project, whose total cost was $162,547. Construction occurred between 1936 and 1937. P.W.A. Docket No. Tex. 1499 "Architect Guy Carlander designed this administration building for Amarillo College. It was built in 1936-37 and later named for George Ordway, who with James Guleke obtained legislative authority to establish the school; Ordway later became the first president. The L-plan building consists of an auditorium and a two-story classroom and office wing with 19...
  • El Pueblo (WTAMU; relocated) - Canyon TX
    A former set of "Spanish-style cottages," known as El Pueblo, was created for married students at what was then West Texas Teachers College. The project, built in 1936, was enabled by Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) funds: a $27,400 loan and $11,105 grant. A 1936 article in the Canyon News newspaper says the cottages were "located on the northeast corner of campus and are situated in a semi-circle." Satellite imagery shows that the houses were located between Russell Long Blvd. and 2nd Ave.; and east of 26th St. Local sources (see Facebook link under Sources) state that each of the structures was...
  • Lea Hall (ENMU) - Portales NM
    ENMU's Lea Hall was constructed as a New Deal project in 1936.  The Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) provided a $46,000 loan and $37,636 grant for the project, whose total cost was $85,034. P.W.A. Docket No. N.M. 7048
  • School and Gymnasium (demolished) - Encino NM
    A former school building and gymnasium in Encino, New Mexico were constructed as a W.P.A. project. "The high school and gymnasium built by the WPA between 1936 and 1939 were recently torn down due to safety issues."
1 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 116