1 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 116
  • Florida State Hospital Development - Chattahoochee FL
    The Public Works Administration (PWA) was involved with multiple construction projects on the grounds of the Florida State Hospital in 1936-7. The PWA supplied a $300,355 grant for construction as part of one combined project, whose total cost was $670,428. PWA Docket No. FL 1135-R. (A second project, Docket FL 1240-R, provided $42,853 for "miscellaneous buildings"—total cost: $95,447.) "The acutely congested condition of the hospital wards and the general housing problem has been somewhat relieved during the biennium with the completion of eleven major buildings with the assistance of federal funds. The structures, all completely fireproof, are designed and built to conform with the needs...
  • Florida Farm Colony (former): Ward Building #1 - Gainesville FL
    A pair of infirmary/ward buildings at what was then known as the Florida Farm Colony was constructed in 1936 as a New Deal-aided project. The Public Works Administration (PWA) supplied a $48,402 grant for the project, whose total cost was $108,174. The exact location and status of the buildings on the campus (presently known as the Tacachdale Center) are presently unknown to Living New Deal. PWA Docket No. FL 1158-R
  • Florida Farm Colony (former): Infirmary Building #2 - Gainesville FL
    A pair of infirmary/ward buildings at what was then known as the Florida Farm Colony was constructed in 1936 as a New Deal-aided project. The Public Works Administration (PWA) supplied a $48,402 grant for the project, whose total cost was $108,174. The exact location and status of the buildings on the campus (presently known as the Tacachdale Center) are presently unknown to Living New Deal. PWA Docket No. FL 1158-R
  • East Hall (Isolation Building, former Florida Industrial School for Girls)- Ocala FL
    The facility now known as East Hall was originally constructed as the "Isolation Building" for Florida Industrial School for Girls, a reformatory. It was constructed in 1936 as a New Deal-aided project. The Public Works Administration (PWA) supplied a $27,727 grant for the project, whose total cost was $65,660. (It is possible that the grant enabled other construction on the grounds as well.) Wikipedia: "East Hall is an historic one-story red brick building located at 307 Southeast 26th Terrace in Ocala, Florida, United States. Designed by architect Frank Parzaile, it was built in 1936 by the Public Works Administration. On July...
  • Florida State Prison: Hospital - Raiford FL
    A hospital at the Florida State Prison (in some documents referred to as the "Florida State Farm"), was constructed in 1936-7 as a New Deal-aided project. The Public Works Administration (PWA) supplied a $137,296 grant for the project, whose total cost was $339,851. The exact location and status of the building are presently unknown to Living New Deal. It is also possible that the project included the construction of other facilities on the prison grounds. PWA Docket No. FL 1160-R
  • Florida Industrial School for Boys (abandoned): Negro Dining Hall - Marianna FL
    A pair of segregated dining halls at what was then known as the Florida Industrial School for Boys, a reformatory, was constructed in 1936 as a New Deal-aided project. The Public Works Administration (PWA) supplied a $34,389 grant for the project, whose total cost was $84,517. The exact location and status of the buildings on the now-abandoned campus are presently unknown to Living New Deal. PWA Docket No. FL 1161-R
  • Florida Industrial School for Boys (abandoned): White Dining Hall - Marianna FL
    A pair of segregated dining halls at what was then known as the Florida Industrial School for Boys, a reformatory, was constructed in 1936 as a New Deal-aided project. The Public Works Administration (PWA) supplied a $34,389 grant for the project, whose total cost was $84,517. The exact location and status of the buildings on the now-abandoned campus are presently unknown to Living New Deal. PWA Docket No. FL 1161-R
  • Exchequer Grammar School (inundated) - Exchequer CA
    The WPA contributed $1,511 toward improvements for the Exchequer Grammar School. The work included the following tasks: "Improve school building lighting, leveling playground & building wall & frame." WPA Proj. No. 65-3-4630, February 8, 1936. Exchequer no longer exists. It was a mining town for the nearby Exchequer Mine and was serviced by the former Yosemite Valley Railroad. When the New Exchequer Dams height was raised in 1967 to increase the reservoir's capacity to 1,032,000 acre⋅ft, the town was inundated.
  • Route 49 - Coulterville CA
    The WPA completed road work along "Route 65, Sections A & B. Widening present narrow Rd. and installing culverts." WPA Proj. No. 65-3-4920, February 18, 1936, $5,052. Route 65 in the mid 1960s was supplanted by State Route 49, The Golden Chain Highway, a state highway in California that travels 320 miles from Oakhurst to Vinton, California. According to AA Roads, "SR 49 received its designation in honor of the 49ers. The state route is frequently referred to as the Gold Country Highway, Mother Lode Highway, Golden Chain Highway, and other names that speak to its heritage as the main highway to...
  • Diamond Point Lookout - Tonto National Forest AZ
    The historic Diamond Point fire lookout tower was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). NRHP Nomination Form: "This 30 ft high steel Aermotor MC-24 tower with a 12 ft by 12 ft cab is located on the Payson Ranger District and was erected in the fall of 1936 by a CCC crew. The wood frame cabin was built in 1941. The lookout tower has been modified. Metal steps were added in 1984 and at an unknown date the original windows were replaced with sliding aluminum windows and the wooden shutters removed. The wood frame cabin with a simple gable roof and...
1 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 116