1 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 117
  • University of Montana: Stone Hall - Missoula MT
    The Journalism Building on the University of Montana campus in Missoula, now known as Stone Hall, was constructed with Public Works Administration funding in 1936-7.  The three-story brick structure originally housed the Journalism School and the printing press of the student newspaper, the Montana Kaimin, and now is the home of the Department of Geology, the College of Forestry and Conservation and the Central and Southwest Asian Studies Center. According to the Montana Historical Society: "Dean Arthur Stone pitched four tents near the Oval in 1914, thereby founding the University’s School of Journalism. An old bicycle shed and later World War I...
  • Post Office (former) - Wilkinsburg PA
    The historic former Wilkinsburg post office was constructed in 1936 with federal Treasury Department funds.
  • Hollidaysburg Area Junior High School - Hollidaysburg PA
    Hollidaysburg Area Junior High School, originally a high school, was built in 1936-7 as a New Deal project: the Public Works Administration (PWA) provided a $117,818 grant for the school construction project in Bradford, whose total cost was $262,499. The since-expanded facility is still in service. PWA Docket No. PA 1137
  • High School - Berlin PA
    The high school in Berlin, PA was built in 1936-7 as a New Deal project: the Public Works Administration (PWA) provided a $99,000 grant for the project, whose total cost was $222,713. The facility has been dramatically expanded. PWA Docket No. PA 1099
  • Spring Cove School District Building - Roaring Spring PA
    What is now the Spring Cove School District Building in Roaring Spring, PA was built in 1936-7 as a New Deal project: the Public Works Administration (PWA) provided a $70,650 grant for the school construction project in Bradford, whose total cost was $159,117. PWA Docket No. PA 1027
  • High School - Pen Argyl PA
    Pen Argyl Area High School was constructed in 1936-7 as a New Deal project: the Public Works Administration (PWA) provided a $54,798 grant for the project, whose total cost was $190,863. The original building can be found at the northwest corner of W Laurel Ave. and N Heller Ave.; the facility has since been expanded to the west. The original building bears a 1936 cornerstone. Its grounds feature a stone retaining wall along West Laurel Ave. and the grounds feature stone-sided staircases. These were possibly constructed by the Works Progress Administration (WPA), though Living New Deal does not have evidence for this at this...
  • Burleson Gymnasium - Burleson TX
    In August 1935, the Burleson Independent School District (BISD) applied for a grant from the Public Works Administration (PWA) for the construction of a one-story, semi-fireproof combination auditorium, gymnasium and classroom school building. In October of the same year, the PWA offered a grant of $8,181 and loan of $10,000 for Project Docket Texas 1481-H, which the BISD accepted. Construction on the building began on April 1, 1936. BISD held a dedication ceremony on October 9, 1936. The auditorium is 122 x 68 feet with a 37 x 16 feet stage on one end. On each side of the stage are...
  • Robin Road Railway Trestle - Staten Island NY
    A trestle carrying what was then what was then the South Beach Branch of the Staten Island Railway across Robin Road Avenue was built in 1936 as part of a massive grade separation project. The line has long since been abandoned (as the line was discontinued in 1953) and the trestle at Robin Road is one of its few remaining traces. The bridge bears a 1936 date stamp. The Public Works Administration (PWA) provided a $1.46 million grant for the $6 million grade crossing elimination project, which included work elsewhere in Staten Island and even in Manhattan. PWA Docket No. NY 4926.
  • McClean Avenue Grade Separation (no longer extant) - Staten Island NY
    A railway-crossing bridge carrying McClean Avenue was built during the mid-1930s as part of a massive grade separation project along what was then the South Beach Branch of the Staten Island Railway. The line has long since been abandoned (as the line was discontinued in 1953) and the space beneath the bridge has been filled in. Traces of the bridge structure can be seen by way of the different cement used along the 100-foot stretch of McClean between Conger St. and Railroad Ave. The Public Works Administration (PWA) provided a $1.46 million grant for the $6 million grade crossing elimination project, which included work elsewhere in Staten Island and...
  • Moccasin Bend School (former) - Miami OK
    Located about nine miles east of downtown Miami, Oklahoma, the former Moccasin Bend school building was built by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in 1936. Built of ashlar masonry, the 76' x 30' building was located on the south side of E 100 St. A building with these dimensions can be found near given coordinates at the Eastside Assembly of God Miami; further confirmation is requested to determine whether this was the school building.
1 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 117