1 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 116
  • Spring Hill Elementary School Improvements - Pittsburgh PA
    A project involving "some alterations and equipment for the Spring Hill elementary school" was undertaken in 1936 as part of a New Deal project, sponsored by the Public Works Administration (PWA). The PWA provided a $24,083 grant for the project, whose total cost was $58,781. PWA Docket No. PA 1156
  • Street Paving - Monaca PA
    A street paving project was undertaken in Monaca as part of a New Deal project, sponsored by the Public Works Administration (PWA). The PWA provided a $37,948 grant for the project, whose total cost was $71,910. PWA Docket No. PA 1175
  • Corbet Street Widening - Tarentum PA
    A street improvement project was undertaken in downtown Tarentum as part of a New Deal project, sponsored by the Public Works Administration (PWA). According to the Pittsburgh Press the project involved "widening Corbet Street between Third and Fourth Avenues." PWA Docket No. PA 1252
  • Fifth Avenue Raising - McKeesport PA
    A substantial infrastructure development project was undertaken in downtown McKeesport as part of a New Deal project, sponsored by the Public Works Administration (PWA). According to the Pittsburgh Press the project involved: "Raising and paving of Fifth Avenue and adjacent streets and alleys, approximately 3380 feet long, grant of $388,350, total estimated cost $863,000. The project provides also for elevating a number of houses to conform to the new street grade line." The eventual total cost was listed as $849,659, and the project also involved sewer construction. PWA Docket No. PA 1504
  • Prospect School (former) Addition - Pittsburgh PA
    Pittsburgh's historic Prospect Junior High and Elementary School building dates to 1931. However, an addition to the building was built in 1936-8 as a New Deal project: the Public Works Administration (PWA) provided a $154,980 grant for the project, whose total cost was $390,249. According to the Pittsburgh Press: "The addition will be three stories with a basement and sub-basement, and will provide gymnasiums, swimming pool, auditorium, filter rooms, locker rooms, fan room, social rooms and other facilities." Regarding the school, Wikipedia states: "It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986. The school closed in 2006, and the building has since...
  • Oakland Avenue Viaduct (demolished) - Sharon PA
    The second Oakland Avenue Viaduct in Sharon, Pennsylvania opened on Christmas Day 1936 and was demolished June 23, 2001. The structure was built as a New Deal project sponsored by the Public Works Administration . The PWA provided a $72,396 grant toward this $158,074 project. The bridge bore an aluminum Public Works Administration plaque featuring the names of the Mercer County commissioners, engineer, solicitor, and contractor. (For some reason date "1938" was placed on the plaque.) PWA Docket No. 1168R
  • School - Blain PA
    The original component of what is now Blain Elementary School was built in 1936 as a New Deal project: the Public Works Administration (PWA) provided a $18,090 grant for the project, whose total cost was $43,376. Perry County Times: "he most prominent building in Blain is the red brick school. It also stands out in the minds of many who attended Blain High School, Blain Junior High and Blain Elementary. The original brick building was built in 1936 and housed 12 grades for children in Blain Borough." PWA Docket No. PA 1293
  • Washington Trade School (former) - Pittsburgh PA
    Pittsburgh's historic Washington Trade School / Washington Education Center building was built in 1936-7 as a New Deal project: the Public Works Administration (PWA) provided a $211,689 grant for the project, whose total cost was $484,114. "The Charles W. Bier-designed structure opened on September 1, 1937." It is no longer in service as a school. PWA Docket No. PA 1303
  • University of Montana: Stone Hall - Missoula MT
    The Journalism Building on the University of Montana campus in Missoula, now known as Stone Hall, was constructed with Public Works Administration funding in 1936-7.  The three-story brick structure originally housed the Journalism School and the printing press of the student newspaper, the Montana Kaimin, and now is the home of the Department of Geology, the College of Forestry and Conservation and the Central and Southwest Asian Studies Center. According to the Montana Historical Society: "Dean Arthur Stone pitched four tents near the Oval in 1914, thereby founding the University’s School of Journalism. An old bicycle shed and later World War I...
  • Post Office (former) - Wilkinsburg PA
    The historic former Wilkinsburg post office was constructed in 1936 with federal Treasury Department funds.
1 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 116