1 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 117
  • Sequoyah's Cabin - Sallisaw OK
    The New York Times reported in 1937: "Tourists have begun to visit the memorial in Sequoyah County, Okla., built by WPA under the sponsorship of the Oklahoma Historical Society ... The stone building erected by WPA encloses the log cabin in which Sequoyah lived 100 years ago, and a new road laid by WPA makes the memorial accessible to motorists." The cornerstone for the project was laid on June 12, 1936. The WPA also constructed a stone wall and the base to a water tower at the site.
  • Alley Improvement - Parkersburg WV
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) paved approximately six miles of alleys throughout Parkersburg, Wood County.
  • Presidio De San Saba - Menard TX
    In 1937, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) rebuilt a portion of the Presidio de San Saba, but due to poor workmanship, it soon fell into ruins. A WPA project rebuilt a portion of the fort for the Texas Centennial in 1936, and today it is open to the public. The restored Presidio we see today is from 2011, not 1937 (per information board photo #5).
  • Birmingham School #2 (demolished) Addition - Birmingham OH
    Birmingham School #2 in Birmingham, Ohio received an auditorium/gymnasium addition in 1936 as a New Deal project, with funds from the Public Works Administration (PWA). The PWA provided a $11,371 grant for the project, whose total cost was $25,667. The building was demolished in 1995. PWA Docket No. OH 1185
  • Union Township School #2 (destroyed) - Union Township OH
    Union Township School #2 was constructed in 1936 as a New Deal project, with funds from the Public Works Administration (PWA). The PWA provided a $17,976 grant for the project, whose total cost was $39,948. The building was destroyed by fire in 1988. PWA Docket No. OH 1219
  • Hanover Township School (demolished) - Hanover OH
    The 1936-7 component of the Hanover Township school building on State Route 130 was built as a New Deal project with funds from the Public Works Administration (PWA). The PWA provided a $11,469 grant for the project, whose total cost was $27,153. The building is no longer extant. PWA Docket No. OH 1297
  • New Miami School #2 (demolished) - New Miami OH
    The former New Miami School #2 building in New Miami, Ohio, was constructed as a New Deal project with funds from the Public Works Administration (PWA), in 1936-7. The PWA provided an $85,468 grant for the project, whose total cost was $193,505. The building was demolished in 2002, and a new high school has been built on the site. PWA Docket No. OH 1140-R
  • Halls Ferry Bridge - Vicksburg MS
    The Confederate Avenue arch span bridge over Halls Ferry Road was constructed in cooperation with the Civilian Conservation Corps and the Public Works Administration in 1936-1937. It is a single arch constructed of reinforced concrete, and is faced with brick, and is the only extant bridge of its type in Mississippi. The contract for $44,641 was awarded to Coggin and Deermont of Chipley, Florida. Excavation work began in August 1936 for the planned 125' by 45' bridge. The final inspection was made in September 1937.
  • High School - Skykomish WA
    Skykomish High School was constructed in 1936 as a New Deal project. The Public Works Administration (PWA) provided a $56,250 grant for the project, whose total cost was $127,331. PWA Docket No. WA 1146
  • Water Reservoir - South Parkersburg WV
    The Public Works Administration funded the construction of a 1,250,000-gallon, concrete water reservoir in South Parkersburg. Project W. Va.-1029-R. Engineers McKinney and Paine of Parkersburg. The PWA provided a $94,714 grant for the project, whose total cost was $215,246. Primary construction occurred between Mar. 1936 and Jan. 1937.  
1 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 117