1 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 116
  • Carmel Firehouse - Carmel CA
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built the Carmel Firehouse in 1936-1937. Carmel has used a volunteer fire department since 1915. The architect of record was Milton Latham, supervised by Bernard Rountree. The stone-clad facade is multi-hued and meant to echo the abundant use of stone in buildings around Carmel-by-the-Sea. There were 4 bays for firetrucks in the original building with a fifth bay added later. This firehouse appears to be used primarily for emergency vehicles now. The second floor was accessed on the west side of the structure via a steep stairway, part of the original structure, and included fire poles from the...
  • Drainage Culvert - San Antonio Heights CA
    The Works Progress Administration built a stonework drainage culvert in San Antonio Heights, CA (mailing address is Upland, CA- San Antonio Heights is unincorporated). On the curb, there is a plaque that says "Improved by the Works Progress Administration and San Bernardino County 1936-1937"
  • City Hall (Old Treatment Plant) - Little Falls MN
    "This Art Deco-style building smack-dab in the middle of the state was originally a Water Treatment Facility built in 1937 by the Works Progress Administration. When a new water treatment facility was built across the street in the 1970’s, the structure was converted to the City Hall building."
  • Mooreville School - Mooreville TX
    The Works Progress Administration built the Moorevile School in Mooreville, Falls County. The project was funded by the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works. The federal government allotted $5000 and the city matched the school district with $7000 in bonds. This wood structure is located at the intersection of FM2643 and FM499A. It housed approximately eight classrooms. The Mooreville school district had ninety-seven students in 1933; the district was consolidated with the Chilton Independent School District in 1950. The school building was converted to a community center.
  • Mahnomen Fire and City Hall - Mahnomen MN
    The combination Fire Hall and City Hall in Mahnomen was built in 1937 by the Works Progress Administration (WPA). The structure was designed by George H. Carter and Company in WPA moderne style and built out of field stone hand-cut by WPA crews. It was listed in the National Register in 1988.
  • Goliad State Park Custodian's Complex - Goliad TX
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Company 3822(V) was assigned to Goliad, Texas from 1935 to 1941 to work on project SP 43-T, Goliad State Park. The CCC built a custodian's complex for Goliad State Park between 1936 and 1937. The complex consisted of a five-room, one-bath, 1-1/2 story residence for the park caretaker, plus maintenance and storage buildings, all located about one mile north of the park. A stone wall surrounded the complex. The CCC built most everything in the house by hand as the house was also an experimental studio, testing the methods they would use to reconstruct Mission...
  • Highway 81 Roadside Park (former) - Belton TX
    Roadside park built by the National Youth Administration in Cooperation with the Texas Highway Department in 1936. The roadside park was along HWY-81 near the Lampasas River. When I-35 was built replacing HWY-81 the roadside park was destroyed. Located at what is now a pullout along the side of the I-35 access road, all that remains is the historic marker. At the same location is the 1936 Pink Centennial Marker to Bell County. From roadside study (link below): "One example, a park in Belton constructed in November 1939, employed 50 NYA youth in cooperation with the THD and was to “include picnic...
  • Archer School Gymnasium - Archer FL
    The Archer School Gymnasium was built by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) with funding from the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works, as part of the New Deal Project 1189. The building was restored (with ADA updates) beginning with fundraising efforts in 2003. Construction commenced in 2007 and completed in 2011, and the building dedicated. It now serves as a multi-purpose center for the City of Archer. The condition of the Gymnasium Building is excellent; however the school was demolished in 1972. (New Deal Project 1189 also remodeled the auditorium of the school into classrooms.)
  • Sequoyah's Cabin - Sallisaw OK
    The New York Times reported in 1937: "Tourists have begun to visit the memorial in Sequoyah County, Okla., built by WPA under the sponsorship of the Oklahoma Historical Society ... The stone building erected by WPA encloses the log cabin in which Sequoyah lived 100 years ago, and a new road laid by WPA makes the memorial accessible to motorists." The cornerstone for the project was laid on June 12, 1936. The WPA also constructed a stone wall and the base to a water tower at the site.
  • Alley Improvement - Parkersburg WV
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) paved approximately six miles of alleys throughout Parkersburg, Wood County.
1 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 116