1 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100
  • Staten Island Zoo - Staten Island NY
    The Clarence T. Barrett Park Zoo (also known as Staten Island Zoo) is located in Barrett Park, on the former estate grounds of Colonel Edward Hardin. After Hardin's wife willed the property to the city in the early 1930s, it was developed into a zoo with New Deal support: "When construction began in 1933-34, the zoo's plans were state of the art. Parks used New Deal-era Civilian Conservation Corps labor to help build the $150,000 facility. The exhibits and the zoo's care for its animals were modern for their time and helped the institution avoid some of the trouble other city...
  • Municipal Improvements - Winter Garden FL
    In the 1930's, Winter Garden was struggling economically along with the rest of the nation. The Great Depression left growers without markets, consumers without spending money, and many without work. It was Winter Garden's fortune to have George Walker as its mayor during this difficult period. Mr. Walker, a native of Savannah, Georgia, came to Winter Garden in 1919, and in the following year, opened Walker Electric Company and Appliance Store. An avid sportsman, Walker was the director of the Lake-Orange County semi-pro baseball league and served as the manager of the Winter Garden League in 1924. He was also active in...
  • Post Office - Sheboygan WI
    The Sheboygan Post Office was constructed with the help of New Deal funds circa 1934.
  • Federal Courthouse - Tyler TX
    The historic federal courthouse and former post office in Tyler was built with Treasury Department funds in 1933. The building, located at the northeast corner of W. Ferguson St. and N. Bois D'Arc Ave. has since been expanded to the east.
  • Gettysburg National Military Park Improvements - Gettysburg PA
    Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) companies 385 and 1355—both African American units—restored, improved, and maintained Gettysburg National Military Park between 1933 and 1942. CCC projects in and around the battlefield included: road, trail, and fence construction; tree planting and maintenance; tree and stump removal; firefighting; snow shoveling; and utility pipe installation (presumably for water, sewage, or drainage). “The CCC also reconstructed the XII Corps earthworks on Culp’s Hill and provided manpower for the 75th anniversary commemoration of the battle in 1938” (James J. Campi, Jr., Hallowed Ground, 2013).   The CCC worked with the National Park Service (NPS) to plan projects with...
  • Penataquit Station Post Office - Bay Shore NY
    Constructed by the Treasury Department and the PWA from 1933-35. A 1933 article in the Suffolk County News described the PWA allotments for this and other nearby post offices: "Actual allotments for post office buildings in Nassau and Suffolk Counties, amounting to $502,430, have been made by the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works. This sum will provide three new post office buildings in Suffolk and four in Nassau, as follows: Suffolk—Bay Shore, $71,270; East Hampton, $73,400; Riverhead, $81,000. Nassau—Floral Park, $67,760; Garden City, $84,300; Port Washington, $65,300; Oyster Bay, $59,430."
  • Buzzards Bay Railroad Bridge - Bourne MA
    The Cape Cod Canal Railroad Bridge was built by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and funded by the Public Works Administration (PWA) in 1933-35.  It was part of a much larger project that included widening the canal and three bridges across it, for which the PWA made a grant of $6,138,000. (Short & Stanley-Brown 1939) The bridge was designed by Parsons, Klapp, Brinckerhoff, and Douglas, along with Mead and White, for the Army Corps of Engineers, which operates all three bridges and the canal.   The main space is 544 feet long and has 135-foot clearance when raised (Wikipedia) At the time...
  • Sagamore Bridge - Bourne MA
    The Sagamore Bridge across the Cape Cod Canal was built by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and funded by the Public Works Administration (PWA).  It was part of a much larger project that included widening the canal and three bridges across it, for which the PWA made a grant of $6,138,000. The project began in 1933 and the bridge opened in June 1935.  The Sagamore Bridge carries four lanes of traffic on U.S. Route 6 across the Cape Cod Canal, connecting Cape Cod with the mainland of Massachusetts. The bridge's main span is 616 feet long, with a 135 foot clearance.    
  • Main Post Office Murals - Flushing NY
    The post office contains a massive set of murals by Vincent Aderente that wrap around the interior of the lobby. The murals depicts scenes from the early history of the twelve communities served by the Flushing Post Office. Some sources suggest that the murals were funded by the Civil Works Administration through the Public Works of Art Project, administered by the Treasury Department, in 1933-34, though further confirmation of this is needed.
  • Tuberculosis Sanitarium Improvements (demolished) - Washington DC
    National Archives records report that in 1933-34 the Civil Works Administration (CWA) did work on a tuberculosis sanitarium at 14th and Upshur in Washington D.C. There is no longer a sanitarium at this location, and it appears to have been demolished and replaced by the apartment building at 4120 14th St.
1 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100