1 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100
  • Federal Building Extension - Grand Island NE
    The Federal Building in Grand Island, NE underwent an extension during the early era of the New Deal. "Supervising Architect of the Treasury James Knox Taylor designed the new post office and federal building in Grand Island, authorizing the final architectural plans in 1908. Workers completed the building, which officially opened on November 26, 1910, at a cost of $108,000. By this time, Grand Island was the third largest city in Nebraska and its economy was thriving. Postal facilities occupied the first floor of the new building, while the second floor held a two-story district courtroom and associated court offices. As its...
  • CCC Company 884 - Rush Springs OK
    A CCC monument erected in 1987 commemorates CCC Company 884 which worked out of Rush Springs, Oklahoma. This camp focused primarily on "soil conservation due to the nature of the soil in this area. The work performed here consisted of terracing and other work to deter soil erosion...A granite monument is erected east of the municipal pool on the east side of Jeff Davis Park, on the east side of Rush Springs. CCC Company 884 camp was located in this area between 1933 and 1942." (waymarking.com) The monument inscription includes: "To all the young men who served and to future generations that...
  • Landreth Park - Joplin MO
    According to a book on Joplin by Leslie Simpson, "In 1933, WPA workers cleared out the slums and created Landreth Park, which boasted a swimming pool, a playground, a tennis court, and flower gardens."  WPA work at the park included the construction of an elegant stone entrance at NW Murphy Blvd.
  • Post Office - Norwood MA
    The post office in Norwood, MA was constructed during the opening months of the New Deal in 1933.
  • New Germany State Park - Grantsville MD
    CCC-built structures at New Germany State Park, that are still in use today, include a recreation building, cabins, and picnic shelters. According to the Maryland Department of Natural Resources, “Today the Recreation Hall (Rec Hall) is the site for many reunions, weddings, and other special events.” The CCC transformed Swauger’s Lake into what is now New Germany Lake. Swauger’s Lake was used for powering a mill and making ice. The CCC drained the lake and cleared it out of logs & stumps, making it safe to swim in. It was then stocked with fish. Other work performed at New Germany State Park...
  • Toledo Zoo Reptile House and Murals - Toledo OH
    The Reptile House was the first of five buildings constructed by the WPA at the Toledo Zoo. These buildings are still in use today. FAP artist Forrest "Woody" LaPlante was one of three muralists who painted botanical backgrounds in each reptile exhibit. Most of these murals were destroyed in the 1970s, but the remaining murals were restored by LaPlante in the 1990s. The building was constructed from materials recycled from local areas, such as the Wabash Railroad shops and the former Miami and Erie canals. The architecture of the building was inspired by Spanish and Moorish styles in reference to the city's...
  • Swallow Falls State Park - Oakland MD
    The CCC built an administrative building, a pavilion, and a restroom at Swallow Falls State Park. All are still in use. The CCC boys also planted trees, performed fire suppression work, and engaged in other projects throughout the area. Visitors to Swallow Falls State Park can camp, hike, picnic, and swim; but extreme caution should be used when swimming due to wet rocks, several waterfalls, and strong currents. There are, however, calm areas to swim, for example, the usually-gentle and more sandy Tolliver Falls area. Swallow Falls is one of the most beautiful parks in the country, and a living testament to...
  • Herrington Manor State Park - Oakland MD
    The Civilian Conservation Corps created Herrington Manor Lake by damming Herrington Creek. They also built ten cabins, the lake concession building (which has been altered since), and a pavilion. The CCC boys also planted trees throughout the area. According to the Maryland Department of Natural Resources, “The park offers swimming, canoeing, kayaking, picnicking, hiking, tennis, volleyball and 20 furnished log cabins for rental use year round” (this includes the ten CCC-built cabins). The park also offers fishing and cross-country skiing opportunities.
  • U.S. Custom House (former) Improvements - New York NY
    The Alexander Hamilton U.S. Custom House was constructed in 1902-1907. In the 1930s and early 1940s, federal funding was used to make several improvements to the building, including the addition of a copper apron to the dome in 1933; improvements to the elevators in 1937; and the installation of revolving doors at the Bowling Green entrance in 1941. The building now serves as the New York branch of the National Museum of the American Indian, a part of the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C.
  • Glacier National Park - West Glacier MT
    "Glacier National Park is a national park located in the U.S. state of Montana, on the Canada–United States border with the Canadian provinces of Alberta and British Columbia. The park encompasses over 1,000,000 acres (4,000 km2) and includes parts of two mountain ranges (sub-ranges of the Rocky Mountains), over 130 named lakes, more than 1,000 different species of plants and hundreds of species of animals. This vast pristine ecosystem is the centerpiece of what has been referred to as the "Crown of the Continent Ecosystem", a region of protected land encompassing 16,000 square miles (41,000 km2)... The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), a New...
1 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100