1 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 101
  • Kabetogama State Forest CCC Improvements - Kabetogama MN
    Kabetogama Lake CCC Camp number S-81, Company 724 was active in the Kabetogama State Forest from 1933-37. A marker at the site today describes CCC activity in the forest: "In 1934 a CCC camp of 400 men was established a mile south of Lake Kabetogama. This most northerly camp in the US had all its facilities under one roof and the lowest sickness rate.The CCC boys worked on forest and building projects in Kabetogama State Forest. In 1936 they fought and 18,100 acre forest fire saving the Kettle Falls Hotel from destruction. A few structures remain to memorialize this depression era program....
  • Municipal Improvements - Bath ME
    "Some work was found through federal programs, such as the Civil Works Administration, with employment for some 200 people in local projects. For example, the upgrading of Kelley Field and the conversion of the Goddard Pond area into a playground offered some employment. Additional improvements to the road system as increasing automobile traffic demanded more access and more space also provided jobs. Vine Street was widened to provide a four-lane approach to the Carlton Bridge. A new road was constructed from Cook’s Corner to Bath in 1938, following the path of King’s Turnpike, a toll road built by William King...
  • CCC Camp - Leeds UT
    In 1933, a Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camp opened in Leeds, UT, at the site of a Dixie National Forest Service ranger station. Stone from Silver Reef, a nearby silver mining ghost, was used to construct the camp's four administrative buildings, which are now the only surviving CCC camp structures in Utah. According to the Washington County Historical Society, "A large crowd attended the dedication of this camp on November 11, 1933. The American Legion conducted the program and the Dixie College Band played the music. Leeds, a town of less than 200, more than doubled with the opening of...
  • White Pines State Park Structures - Mt. Morris IL
    White Pines State Park on Ogle County, Illinois, contains several CCC structures: "In 1933, with the Great Depression in full swing, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) sought to relieve the work needs of unemployed Americans. The National Park Service sought to work with state governments in an effort to meet those ends. Many of the projects the CCC was involved with were construction projects. The project at White Pines was originally meant to be the construction of a lodge building. From 1933 to 1939, two hundred men, many of them World War I veterans, worked on the State Park construction...
  • Cauldwell Memorial Playground - Morristown NJ
    “An additional 75 men will be put to work in Morristown tomorrow, making about 375 who have been given employment under the CWA and other relief projects, it was announced this morning by Town Clerk Nelson S. Butera, Deputy Director of Relief. The men will be put to work at Cauldwell Memorial Playground, fixing up tennis courts, the wading pool and handball court."
  • Aspen Grove Camp Improvements - Mount Timpanogos UT
    In 1933-34, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) made improvements at the Aspen Grove Family Camp owned by Brigham Young University. The Aspen Grove camp was established after land was donated to Brigham Young University in 1921 and BYU started an Alpine Summer Camp there in 1922. (https://aspen.byu.edu) Working with BYU, the CCC enrollees planted lawns and installed 5,000 feet of pipe for a new sprinkling system, plus adding parking spaces, stoves, campsites and a new trail (Baldridge, p. 309). The CCC enrollees worked out of Camp F-5 at Granite Flat (Baldridge, p. 309).  The exact location and survival of these improvements is unknown...
  • Mountain Contour Terracing, Little Rock Canyon - Provo UT
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) established its first camp in the state of Utah near Provo in Utah County and began work on a host of projects, including soil conservation, recreation and water resources. One of those projects was contour terracing to stop erosion in Little Rock Canyon behind Provo in the Wasatch Mountains.  As Holzapfel puts it: "A flurry of activity in Utah County began in 1933 when the CCC began to manage land erosion in several ways. A pilot program of range reseeding proved a success in Sheep Creek...and mountain contour terracing was successfully completed in Little Rock Canyon near...
  • Timpanogos Cave National Monument: Improvements - Mount Timpanogos UT
    Timpanogos Cave was designated a national monument on October 14, 1922 and was initially developed and maintained by the U.S. Forest Service.  The National Park Service took over from the Forest Service in 1933 as part of the Roosevelt Administration's reorganization of national parks and monuments. Timpanogos NM was administered from Zion NP until 1955. The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) sent the first New Deal workforce into the monument for the summer of 1933.  The Company 940 established a camp at the site now occupied by the Granite Flat campground. Mostly notably, CCC enrollees built a new trail to provide better access...
  • Sanford Regional Airport improvements - Sanford ME
    "Sanford Town Engineer, Earnest Gallant, oversaw initial construction of the runways in 1930 on land owned by Lela H. Goodall Thomurg..." William Campbell, President of the Goodall Worsted Company, founded Sanford Airways in 1931. After several improvement were made during the 1930s and early 1940s, funded primarily by New Deal agencies, the Sanford Airport was leased to the Navy in 1942. By then it boasted three lighted, paved, 3,000-foot runways... . Sanford Regional Airport is now overseen by an Airport Advisory Committee of the Town of Sanford and a part-time airport manager."   (https://www.someoldnews.com) W.P.A. project information: "Construct municipal airport" Official Project Number: 165‐1‐11‐38 Total project...
  • James O. Eastland Federal Building (former) - Jackson MS
    The James O. Eastland federal post office and courthouse was constructed in 1933-34. It is a "five-story, limestone, Art Deco interpretation of a classical building" (www.gsa.gov). A new courthouse recently replaced this one, and the Eastland building is now privately owned.
1 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 101