1 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 100
  • Cemetery Improvements - Concord NH
    Municipal reports from 1933-1942 detail PWA and WPA work on several local cemeteries. In 1933, the PWA spent nearly $5,000 on the following: Fencing Blossom Hill Cemetery. Crematory Blossom Hill Cemetery. Drainage Blossom Hill Cemetery. Grading Blossom Hill Cemetery, Maple Grove Cemetery, Pine Grove Cemetery. Water systems Maple Grove and Woodlawn Cemeteries. The report states, "This work required a vast amount of time, as the federal government is very exact in detail and text." A 1939 report stated further that: "With the assistance of the WPA, the pond at Blossom Hill Cemetery was restored after many years of disuse. To further beautify this area, azaleas and rhododendrons were...
  • Greynolds Park - North Miami Beach FL
    Miami and the surrounding Dade County were effectively without city or county parks until the 1930s.  The city got its first park in 1925, after which the city was devastated by a hurricane the following year. The county received its first donation of land for a park in 1929, which became Matheson Hammock Park.  In 1930, the park system got its own director and a beach park, Surfside, was added in 1932. The county began improvements on the parks using mostly convict labor and men sent by the Charity Office once the Depression hit, as well as starting a Roadside...
  • Spring Mill State Park: Bathhouse (former) - Mitchell IN
    Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) and Works Progress Administration (WPA) laborers worked together to build a bathhouse.  The project spanned from 1933 till 1941. The project was abandoned by the New Deal agencies at the onset of World War II. The project was eventually completed by park workers. The remodeled bathhouse now serves as the park's Nature Center.
  • Spring Mill State Park - Mitchell IN
    Spring Mill State Park was occupied by New Deal agencies from 1933 until 1941. CCC Company 1536 first occupied the camp in June of 1933. The camp was integrated and consisted of eight percent black enrollees. Company 1536 constructed overnight cabins, a campground, a boathouse, shelters, and more. Company 1536 was eventually joined by a Company 539. Company 539 was completely comprised of African Americans that had just arrived from Yellowstone. Company 539 constructed a triple arched bridge, restrooms, and shelters. WPA laborers also helped build a water system at Spring Mill State Park.
  • Pokagon State Park: CCC Camp SP 7 (demolished) - Angola IN
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) established a camp at Pokagon State Park in order to work on developing the park. The camp was there from 1933 to 1942, when the CCC program closed down.  The camp was dismantled afterward. Camp SP-7 housed Company 556 and consisted of officers quarters, six barracks, headquarters building, recreational hall, bath house/laundry, mess hall, latrine, motor pool shed, blacksmith/tool storage, educational/shop building, pumphouse and water tower, and ham radio shed.   The site is marked by a sign on a stone pedestal, built by one of the former CCC boys some 40 years after the camp closed. More...
  • Clifty Falls State Park - Madison IN
    Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Company 1597 was active at Clifty Falls from November 1933 until 1938. The CCC built roads, trails, gatehouses, shelters, barns, and more. To enhance the outdoors experience projects exhibited designs that were rustic and harmonious with their surroundings, using native materials.
  • Douglass and Harrison Apartments (demolished) - Newark NJ
    The since-demolished Douglass and Harrison Apartments was a housing project in Newark, New Jersey. According to the Federal Writers' Project, "Construction costs (approximately $1,800,000) were reduced through the help of the city and the Civil Works Administration in grading the entire site."
  • Bayley Seton Hospital - Staten Island NY
    Originally the United States Marine Hospital, what is now Richmond University Medical Center's Bayley Seton Hospital was a PWA project. It is described by the Federal Writers' Project: "United States Marine Hospital, Bay Street and Vanderbilt Avenue, a Federal hospital operated by the United States Public Health Service, is open to personnel of the Merchant Marine and Coast Guard, and to certain classes of Government employees. Constructed in 1933-6 by the PWA at a cost of two million dollars, the tawny-colored brick buildings with a silver tower cover an area of eighteen acres. Louis A. Simon was the supervising architect. This...
  • Staten Island Historical Society Museum Renovations - Staten Island NY
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) helped to restore the the Staten Island Historical Society Museum, now part of Historic Richmond Town. New Deal efforts on this project likely began under a precursor agency to the WPA: the Civil Works Administration (CWA) or Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA). The Federal Writers' Project guide to New York City has this to say: "The Staten Island Historical Society Museum, opposite the old county courthouse at Court Place and Center Street, is housed in the old county clerk's and surrogate's office, a two-story brick structure of Colonial design, built in 1848 and restored in 1933-5 by...
  • Mesa Verde National Park - Mesa Verde CO
    Mesa Verde National Park was signed into existence by Teddy Roosevelt in 1906. Its goal is "to protect some of the best-preserved cliff dwellings in the world." Occupying roughly 80 square miles in southwestern Colorado, the park features "numerous ruins of homes and villages built by the Ancient Pueblo peoples, sometimes called the Anasazi. There are over 4,000 archaeological sites and over 600 cliff dwellings of the Pueblo people at the site." (Wikipedia) During the New Deal period, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) conducted extensive work throughout the park. "The contributions of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) to the Historic Landmark were...
1 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 100