1 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 101
  • Railroad Yard Viaduct - San Bernardino CA
    This New Deal federal public works project was a product of joint state, federal, county, and private funding. The viaduct had a 40-foot reinforced concrete roadway with a 3-foot 6-inch sidewalk on each side and an overall length of 1016 feet with flared approaches giving easy access at either end. The work was accomplished in part by cutting through a new street and rerouting the Pacific Electric tracks. The complete project involved the relocation of the street railway tracks at an estimated cost of $14,000 and yard changes by the Burlington Northern and Santa Fe Railroad Company at an estimated...
  • Mohawk Trail State Forest - Charlemont MA
    From the Massachusetts Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs: “The administration building and four log cabins built by the CCC at Mohawk Trail were featured in Albert Good’s 1938 book, Park and Recreation Structures, as outstanding examples of CCC rustic design and are still used today.”
  • Municipal Improvements - Franklin NH
    The New Deal federal Public Works Program and Federal Emergency Relief administration funded a number of municipal improvements in Franklin, NH, including improvements to schools and libraries, funds for public sewing and forestry projects, and surplus commodity relief. "1933 Parker Hancock School P. W. A. Project. Docket No. 3881 Grant From U. S. Government for Parker Hancock School By cash from U. S. Government $4.421 .74 To Resources and Liabilities $4.421 . 74 U. S. Government Bonds From U. S. Government for Parker Hancock School addition $28,000 . 00 TOWN LIBRARIAN There have been unusual repairs on the building and plumbing this year, and had it not been for the FERA...
  • Charlton Flat Picnic Area - Palmdale CA
    In 1933, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built a campground and picnic area at Charlton Flat in the Angeles National Forest, CA. The same CCC Company was responsible for building the campground, ranger station, and maintenance facilities at nearby Chilao, as well as the fire lookout on Mount Vetter.
  • Houston Ship Channel Dredging - Houston TX
    The Houston Ship Channel officially opened in 1914 after the 52-mile long waterway that runs from the Gulf of Mexico to a tuning basin at the Port of Houston was dredged to a depth of 25 feet. The depth of the channel was increased to 30 feet in 1922. In 1933, the United States Department of War and the United States House Committee on Rivers and Harbors approved a plan to increase the depth of the channel from 30 feet to 34 feet and widen the Galveston Bay section from 250 feet to 400 feet. The Public Works Administration provided $2,800,000...
  • Linn Run State Park - Rector PA
    A Pennsylvania Historic Resource Survey documents both CCC and WPA work on the park: "The CCC and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) jointly developed Linn Run State Park. There is some indication from secondary sources that the WPA constructed the cabins and other buildings and structures, while the CCC landscaped the logged area and constructed roads, water and sewage systems, and other utilities... Other CCC-built resources within the district include two stone foot bridges, an automobile bridge constructed of steel I-beams with stone abutments, and low profile stone cooking fireplaces."
  • Shakamak State Park - Jasonville IN
    Shakamak is an attractive site today, but in 1930 when it opened as a state park, much of the parcel was a wasteland of abandoned strip mines. Shakamak State Park entered a new phase of development during the Great Depression. In the winter of 1933-34, the Civil Works Administration (CWA) employed hundreds of local men to build trails, shelters, and a new lake. The dam was completed by the Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) which also constructed fish ponds and pens for exotic animals. In 1937, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) finished the projects. The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) constructed...
  • Foothill Boulevard Cutoff - Sylmar CA
    A 1934 issue of California Highway & Public Works magazine reported that 3.53 miles of road from Tunnel Station on the San Fernando Road to Olive View Hospital (formerly Sanitarium) was constructed between Dec. 1933 and Oct. 1934 northwest of San Fernando to finally complete former state highway 4 within the Los Angeles area. A reinforced concrete bridge across the Southern Pacific Railroad was constructed along with a bridge across a spur track to the Hercules Powder company plant. Federal aid for this portion of road and the bridges was $281,000.
  • Walnut Springs Park - Seguin TX
    In June 1933, using a design by architect Robert H. H. Hugman, workmen from the Civilian Conservation Corps, began building walkways and bridges along Walnut Branch, a small tributary of the Guadalupe River, and lining the slopes of the waterway with curving stone retaining walls. Dams crossed by stepping stones, low falls, and quiet pools were built along the natural course of the waterway that passes along the edge of the city's downtown. The park eventually fell into neglect during a severe drought in the 1950s, though the main spring never dried up. Fear that mosquitoes breeding in the small ponds...
  • Brown County State Park - Nashville IN
    The Civil Works Administration (CWA) laborers improved Brown County State Park from 1933 - 1934. The CWA laborers built shelters and worked on establishing trails during their brief stay at Brown County State Park. In 1933 two Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camps were established. The two camps were comprised of World War I veterans. The CCC laborers built gatehouses, shelters, trails, an exhibit shelter, saddle barns, amphitheater, and more. The CCC camps were disbanded in 1941.
1 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 101