- West Point, NY
- Site Type:
- Military and Public Safety, Education and Health, Schools
- New Deal Agencies:
- Public Works Administration (PWA), Public Works Funding
- Site Survival:
This structure was built by the PWA in 1934-5 as the Post Exchange and Utility Building. It now houses the Academy’s Directorate of Public Works. A 1939 PWA publication described the building as follows:
“This structure is one of several provided for the Military Academy by the Quartermaster Corps of the Army with P.W.A. allotments. It is 291 by 137 feet in over-all dimensions and four stories in height. It contains the post exchange, a commissary department, five offices, a file room; and six storage, receiving, and issuing rooms. The foundations, columns, and floors are concrete, exterior walls above grade are brick trimmed with limestone, and the roof is tar and gravel. All floors have a cement finish. The project was completed in September 1935 and the P.W.A. allotment for it was $202,629.” (Short and Brown)
C.W. Short and R. Stanley-Brown. "Public Buildings: A Survey of Architecture of Projects Constructed by Federal and Other Governmental Bodies Between the Years 1933 and 1939 with the Assistance of the Public Works Administration." (1939).
Site originally submitted by Evan Kalish on September 21, 2013.
At this Location:
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site