- Tucson, AZ
- Site Type:
- Auxiliary Buildings, Education and Health, Colleges and Universities
- New Deal Agencies:
- Public Works Administration (PWA), Public Works Funding
- Roy Place
- MM Sundt
- Quality of Information:
- Very Good
The Publics Works Administration funded the construction of ROTC stables, infirmary, and barracks for the cavalry training program. Interestingly, by the time of completion horses were already practically obsolete within the US military. Within five years, “cavalry” would mean meant tanks, not horses.
“The R. O. T. C. Stables was another PWA project, designed by Roy Place and built by the M. M. Sundt Co. It is located on the north side of Warren Avenue, north of the University of Arizona Medical Center, next to the old UA polo field. It was completed in March, 1936. Original cost was $24,342. Later, $2,853 was spent on corrals, a riding hall, and a fence.
Roy Place designed stalls for 92 horses for the R. O. T. C. Cavalry unit. There was room for hay storage and a barracks for U.S. Cavalrymen, who took care of the horses and taught UA students to ride and perform cavalry formations.”
Site originally submitted by Barbara Pendleton on October 21, 2022.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site