- Tuscaloosa, AL
- Site Type:
- Education and Health, Schools, Colleges and Universities
- New Deal Agencies:
- Public Works Funding, Public Works Administration (PWA)
Bureau of Mines is building 116 on the campus map.
“Of the 11 experimental stations of the Bureau of Mines, 9 are located at State universities where they have the advantage of educational facilities and cooperation with the State agencies. This one, at Tuscaloosa, was built on a site of 2 1/2 acres donated by the university.
The building is three stories in height and 50 by 159 feet in plan and provides offices, conference rooms, assembly rooms, a library, a machine shop, assay rooms, and several laboratories for many different purposes. These laboratories are so arranged that they may be expanded and all are equipped with the most modern apparatus.
The exterior walls are brick trimmed with limestone. The total floor area is 20,854 square feet and the volume 356,000 cubic feet. The project was completed in March 1936 at a construction cost of $192,734 and a project cost of $200,000.”
Source notesC.W. Short and R. Stanley-Brown. "Public Buildings: A Survey of Architecture of Projects Constructed by Federal and Other Governmental Bodies Between the Years 1933 and 1939 with the Assistance of the Public Works Administration." (1939).
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site