- Carmel, CA
- Site Type:
- Infrastructure and Utilities, Roads, Bridges, and Tunnels
- New Deal Agencies:
- Public Works Funding, Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works, National Recovery Administration (NRA)
- Quality of Information:
- Site Survival:
- No Longer Extant
In 1933-34, the California State Highway Department expanded and paved a two-mile section of the road behind the town of Carmel (now Highway 1) from the top of the hill down to the Carmel River. They also built the first concrete bridge across the Carmel River.
The work was paid for by the Public Works Administration (PWA), or as it was officially known when created under the National Recovery Act of 1933, the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works.
This section of highway has been expanded further and repaved in recent years and the Carmel River bridge has been replaced with a newer, larger version.
California Highway and Public Works magazine reported in early 1934: “Between the Carmel River and Carmel, a distance of about 1.9 miles, the road is being graded to a 36-foot road and the selected material surface is being treated by the road mix method. This project is financed under the National Recovery Act of 1933, and is expected to be completed in May. At the southerly end of the above project a new bridge across the Carmel River is under construction. This is a reinforced concrete structure with a 24-foot roadway and a 2-foot sidewalk on each side.”
California Highway and Public Works, January 1934.
Site originally submitted by Andrew Laverdiere on July 20, 2014.
Additional contributions by Richard Walker.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site