- Gaffney, SC
- Site Type:
- Federal Facilities, Civic Facilities, Post Offices
- New Deal Agencies:
- Federal & Military Operations, Treasury Department
- Valley Renovators & Painters
The historic former post office Gaffney, South Carolina was constructed in 1912. However, the building received a remodeling (and, possibly, an all-new addition to the rear)—a New Deal project—that was completed in 1940. The building, often referred to as the “grand dame” by locals, now houses Gaffney’s Visitor Center as well as art studios.
Source notesNational Archives: Record Group 121-BS: Records of the Public Buildings Service: Completion views of federal buildings (prints) alphabetically by state and thereunder by city, to 1966; Box 79. https://www.sciway.net/sc-photos/cherokee-county/gaffney-visitors-center.html
Site originally submitted by Evan Kalish on February 7, 2015.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site