- West Hollywood, CA
- Site Type:
- Recreation Halls, Parks and Recreation
- New Deal Agencies:
- Works Progress Administration (WPA), Work Relief Programs
- Quality of Information:
- Site Survival:
Originally known as the Plummer Park Community Clubhouse, the Great Hall/Long Hall was constructed by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in 1938. It is the only New Deal structure located in West Hollywood, CA.
Plummer Park was dedicated the same year by Los Angeles County in partnership with the WPA as part of county-wide efforts to increase public green space.
“Formerly the homestead of Captain Eugene Plummer,” historian Laura Dominguez notes, “the property was the last remnant of the pioneer family’s vast Rancho La Brea.”
The Great Hall/Long Hall’s “Spanish Colonial Revival design, chosen to reflect Plummer Park’s heritage and link to the region’s great Mexican-era ranchos, remains highly intact,” Dominguez continues. “It features a U-shaped plan surrounding a central courtyard, a clay tile roof, and a stucco exterior. The west section, known as the Great Hall, features an auditorium space, while the south section, known as the Long Hall, originally functioned as a library and game room. The interior retains its original stage, decorative wood trusses, beams, and molding.”
The Great Hall/Long Hall was designated by the California Historic Resources Commission on May 1, 2013, and placed on the National Register of Historic Places on July 22, 2013.
Laura Dominguez, "West Hollywood's Plummer Park and Great Hall/Long Hall: Landmarks of HIV/AIDS Activism" (KCET)
Los Angeles Conservancy, "Plummer Park, Great Hall/Long Hall"
James F. Mills, “Great Hall-Long Hall Buildings Approved to National Register of Historic Places,” WEHOville (blog), May 1, 2013.
Site originally submitted by Shaina Potts on September 3, 2013.
Additional contributions by Natalie McDonald.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site