- San Antonio, TX
- Site Type:
- Parks and Recreation, Picnic and Other Facilities
- New Deal Agencies:
- Work Relief Programs, Works Progress Administration (WPA)
Between 1938 and 1940 the WPA constructed 19 concrete and stone picnic tables, benches, and fire pits in Brackenridge Park. They are nestled among the trees along Tuleta Drive, just south of the Joske Pavilion. The concrete pads and stone water fountains were added at a later date.
Source notesPage 13 of the 2011 nomination form mentions the picnic area being built by the WPA.
Site originally submitted by Elizabeth Hilburn on November 6, 2013.
At this Location:
- Starter House, Historic Brackenridge Park Golf Course - San Antonio TX
- Brackenridge Park Bridge Improvements - San Antonio, Texas
- Low Water Crossing Bridge, Brackenridge Park - San Antonio TX
- Brackenridge Park, Reptile Farm (demolished) - San Antonio TX
- Brackenridge Park, Perimeter Wall and Entry Gates - San Antonio TX
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site