- Hampton, VA
- Site Type:
- Civic Facilities, Military and Public Safety, City and Town Halls, Firehouses
- New Deal Agencies:
- Public Works Administration (PWA), Public Works Funding
- Site Survival:
The Pheobus Fire Department in Hampton, Virginia was originally constructed as the Town Hall for Pheobus, Virginia. The town of Phoebus has since been incorporated into the city of Hampton. The Town Hall building was constructed in 1938. In his 2008 “Historic Structures Survey of City of Hampton, Virginia,” for the Virginia Department of Historic Resources, Stephen Del Sordo writes:
“The federal government used the potential for a European war, the Civilian Conservation Corps, and Works Progress Administration programs to provide unemployment relief and to improve public facilities…. The federal government…constructed a new post office in Phoebus, the Phoebus Firehouse and Town Hall, and the Phoebus School, all in the late 1930s.”
Living New Deal believes this facility to be a Public Works Administration (P.W.A.)-sponsored project, P.W.A. Docket No. VA [W]1114.
Source notesPhoebus Virginia New Deal Projects Historic Structures Survey of City of Hampton, Virginia National Archives: Record Group 135: Public Works Administration; Projects Control Division; Entry 52: Indices to Non-Federal Projects; Report No. 5: Status of All Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, page 120.
Site originally submitted by Frank da Cruz on June 4, 2017.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site