- Site Type:
- Infrastructure and Utilities, Water Supply
- Quality of Information:
- Site Survival:
In 1938-1939, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) installed a short Water Main on Pennsylvania Avenue, west from 26th Street, NW.
The Annual Report of the DC government provides details: “A 12-inch main in Pennsylvania Avenue NW, west from Twenty-sixth Street, to replace an old 6-inch main. This work, totaling 240 linear feet, was undertaken as a W. P. A. project and is a part of the work necessary to convert the 30-inch gravity main in M Street to the first high service.”
The main may still be in place, but it would be unknown and invisible to everyone but the staff at DC Water and Sewer Authority.
Report of the Government of the District of Columbia, For the Year Ended June 30, 1939, Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1940, p. 100.
Site originally submitted by Brent McKee on February 26, 2020.
Additional contributions by Richard A Walker.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site