- Torrington, CT
- Site Type:
- Federal Facilities, Post Offices
- New Deal Agencies:
- Federal & Military Operations, Public Works Funding, Treasury Department, Public Works Administration (PWA)
- F D W Glazier, William E Hunt
- Site Survival:
The historic former post office building in Torrington, Connecticut was constructed with federal funds during the Great Depression. An example of New Deal artwork that had been housed in the former post office has been relocated to USPS’s current location on Elm Street. The New Deal-era building is now privately owned and known as Old Post Office Square.
“This post office has two entrances, which is unusual except in large buildings, and its along most of the side. The lobby has a terrazzo floor, marble wainscot, and plaster above, decorated with mural paintings. The construction is fireproof except for the roof; the exterior walls are brick trimmed with stone. The project was completed in October 1936 at a cost of $124,529. The P.W.A. allotment was $169,357.61 and the cost of the site $44,800.”
C.W. Short and R. Stanley-Brown. "Public Buildings: A Survey of Architecture of Projects Constructed by Federal and Other Governmental Bodies Between the Years 1933 and 1939 with the Assistance of the Public Works Administration." (1939).
Site originally submitted by Evan Kalish on May 10, 2022.
At this Location:
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site